Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by badazz81z28
Hey killer what make a motor better than another? If its not power than I guess a the old 305 is the best foundation. Since it doesnt make any power it doesnt see alot of wear. You are the one who doesnt know crap with these stupid and pointless debates. Anyone who says a 400 sux is someone who has never had one. A 383 is a nice motor Im not saying that but god sakes a 383 is almost exactly identical in terms of internal parts.
Wow, 11 pages of posts to explain what I meant by the original question, and you totally missed it. YOu sound like a hick.

Rifraf, all I'm saying is you're re-stating things that others have illustrated well in the thread. I went into this thread thinking a lot of myths about 400's were true. In some cases they are more than others, but case in point is that nobody should be affraid to build one. THanks for your earlier responses, they were helpful to me and I'm sure to others! SHeeeeesssshh!!!

K

Advertisement

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 10-06-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
brains

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Hey killer you need to chill the f*ck out!!
what make a motor better than another? If its not power than I guess a the old 305 is the best foundation. Since it doesnt make any power it doesnt see alot of wear. You are the one who doesnt know crap with these stupid and pointless debates. Anyone who says a 400 sux is someone who has never had one. A 383 is a nice motor Im not saying that but god sakes a 383 is almost exactly identical in terms of internal parts.

I dont think we need this type of language in these posts even if you use the "*" to hide one letter. You and rifraf shouldnt take things so personal. Killer knows his stuff but most of all and most importantly he is respectful. No one said you have to agree with him, but at least come back with something not so tacky and foul.

Ben
Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

That word is in the english dictionary. Stop getting your feelings hurt Ben. Who do you think you are anyways? Not my boss Ill tell you that.
I thought this thread this over with. Good of you to bring it back

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 10-06-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:15 AM
brains

Last photo:

Quote:
That word is in the english dictionary. Stop getting your feelings hurt Ben. Who do you think you are anyways? Not my boss Ill tell you that.
I thought this thread this over with. Good of you to bring it back

No need to be so defensive just treat others how you wish to be treated. I see your new here and were a friendly chat site most of us support each other even with different opinions. We ask that you do the same. Voice your opinion but be respectful.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Thankyou all, as I've just read all these posts for the first time and have been amused to no end. Maybe someone should do a direct comparison between a 383 and a 400. Have both short blocks built to same standards and then have the heads, manifolds etc, swapped over between dyno runs. Is it worth it? What's better, apples or oranges? Ford or Chevs? How long's a piece of string? Both motors have advantages. If you're lucky enough to have a 400, keep it that way. If you're rebuilding a 350 for more grunt, then put a stroker in it. I guess you guys are just making the most of what you've got. But they're both SB Chev's and you should be sharing your knowledge as friends would. I feel a sense of fear in lot of the writing that I've read in these posts. A fear of being weaker or lesser than the other. Don't base your manliness on how much grunt your engine's putting down to the rear wheels. There's more important means of doing that. If one was to back off a bit and act in a more constructive manner then you could pool your stuff together and be much better off as a result. Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. I've got enough things wrong in my life right now that's there's not enough space to tell you about it. He he. I just leave my trouble's behind when I'm doing these post, like most of the others. Cheers!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Spray Booth
Last photo:

It's been a while and I am doing this from memory, so be kind if I get it wrong.

1. Given the same cubic inches and rod length to stroke ratios, a larger bore engine will make more power due to the unshrouding of the valves. I believe Bill Jenkins worked with some 302 cranks in 400 blocks.
2. If you are putting a 400 crank in a 350 block, why are we even discussing 400 crank strength?
3. Some 400 blocks (early production?) suffered from "core shift". The sand core wouldn't be centered during the pour and the cylinder walls varied in thickness around the circumference. A quick way to check was to use a vernier caliper from the water passage hole to the bore wall. All hole/cylinder measurements should be close to the same. The closer, the better the block. Sonic testing for thickness would be a better check. A block with bad core shift would tend to overheat in the thin areas. The thin areas would also be weaker due to less metal. This combination of low strength and overheating would tend to generate cracks in the thin area.

All this being said, I think you need to run what is in your budget. Myself, I am going to run a 350. I bought a truck with a blown tranny behind a fairly new crate 350 for a C note. I would be nuts to go with anything else unless I was racing the car and/or had unlimited funds.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
WTH

Last photo:

Quote:
most cases, but a savy engine builder can make the differance look at nascar for example, build a 383 using SB2 take off's and spend the same with new parts for your 400, Im sorry to say but the savy 383 builder in this case would blow your doors off...
Would you be that savy engine biulder "2wld4u
The New Sheriff in Town....." ? ?????? Becuase I also live in West Virginia and am always have a invatation for you to come and BLOW my doors off.

Quote:
....Hey blown 79, your just the guy I want to talk to! I've got a 415 small block. I'm going to put it in a '32 Ford and want to put a GMC supercharger on it. Some people tell me that I'll have Big time overheating problems. I had this same engine in a '84 Camaro {without the blower} and although it didn't overheat, it still didn't run cool. Also, in the Camaro I had a Ron Davis Nascar type radiator so that probably helped a little {oh also it has aluminum heads}. Do you think the fact that its bored out a little more than yours will matter that much? Thanks a bunch, Bill....
Bill long story short my engine has seen 190 in parade mode at a car show after idleing for about 35 min in 90degree heat so I will say the supercharger isnt gonna heat it up but I hope you plan on alot more than just bolting on a huffer, comp ratio rods crank ect are gonna need attention.
ltr
Ed

Last edited by Blown79; 10-06-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
This has gotten to be one of the dumbest threads going now....I am going to block it from my email.

I'm beginning to agree.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm with chuck. Let it die.

K
Old 01-21-2005, 11:58 PM

cheep 383

The 400 has shorter rods and if you use a 383 crank and stock 400 rods you can use 350 pistons thats what they use to do before stroker kits but you cant run more then 5,500RPM because of the rod angle
Old 01-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: cheep 383

Quote:
Originally posted by joie383
The 400 has shorter rods and if you use a 383 crank and stock 400 rods you can use 350 pistons thats what they use to do before stroker kits but you cant run more then 5,500RPM because of the rod angle
huh?! Yeah. That's not true.

K
Old 01-22-2005, 02:14 AM

Last journal entry: 1956 buick special
Last photo:

MIGHTY MOUSE =377CI 2,500HP

THIS IS ONE OF THE FINEST OUTLAW STREET MACHINES I have had the privilege of seeing evolve over the years right Now its not the fastest but when it was in its primal stages It was one of the first in the 8s 9years ago.his best a 7:15 @3,400lbs!!!!!!and no bull.a 377 with a 14-71 blower that launched like a small block and killed on the topend like a big block http://www.streetlethal.ca/index.htm read and weep no bull just facts and it ran ,and still does on alcohol.running a carbon fiber body now,but she was all steel with electric windows. shes a moaner soon to be a screamer glenns a good old boy going thru the school of hard knocks and working the bugs out of a new ride with a big heritage.a man that loves speed I have my work cut out for me ,But the respect will always be there,so if I ever wanted a small block"and I dont, there is No substitute for cubic inches and 540 suites me just fine"this would be the combo I would run.I have seen the CANSO eat 648ci bbc,with no problem.to see this car and its following is unbelivable just one class act!!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

If i had the choice I would prefer the 383, It will hold together better than the 400. but i think The best Chevy street motor would be the 350 because of there buildabilaty and the fact they rev to 7 grand with no problem

Holder350.....
Old 03-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Which engine?

There is just no replacement for displacement.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

377sbc and 406sbc

the 383 is a bored 350 with a 400 crank...the 377 is the 350 with the 400 crank...not bored and the 406 is a bored 400...I have both....decided to drop the 406 in my 53 chevy and the 377 in my 65 Chevelle.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.