Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Let me think about that...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 vs. 400

I agree with "Coldknock", I happen to have a 383 in my '56 so it's my very favorite engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

bump
Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Actually Chevy WAS going to build a HI-PO 400

There was a proto-type Camaro built in 1971 that had a high performance 400 small block.. Chevy had every intention on utilizing this small yet powerful motor and I understand that the car was supposed to be crushed and it was saved (according to my friend from the GM engineering group).
I recently read that the only reason Chevrolet dropped the idea was because of the black clouds of change taking place on emissions and gas..
It was in front of a 400 TH but plans were already underway to put them in front of a 4-speed.. I heard they were really some excited guys working on this and there was some really disapointed guys when the managment shelved the idea. I heard that the prototype cruised Woodword Ave during the "testing" !
It really makes sense as a Big Block uses a lot of horsepower just to spin that big bottom end with the frictional losses.
One more thing, I guess the test 'mule' was a big block car and it sat a little higher in the front after losing all that weight.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:04 PM

383 or 400 SBC

As things stand in my neck of the woods (FL) it's getting difficult to locate
400 blocks that aren't totally wasted ... that said, if it's cubes you're looking for, World & Dart can both set you up with 427-454 SBC blocks that are stronger and better castings than even bowtie chev. equip. I guess it's a matter of "bang for the buck" and what you can put together for your dollar spent.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM

I couldn't really choose between the two, but i do have a 383 with approx. 576hp with my direct port system in an S-10 Blazer.The only reason i chose the 383 is the parts availability and that the 350 block was the only thing i had lying around. Like i said i couldn't pick between the two, just go with whatever you have at hand. I voted 383 because i have one and its probably one the best smallblocks i've ever owned.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

455 BUICK to win.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 AM

383/400 debate

Why even debate it guys? First off, the 400 can produce some serious power but the only problem is, it's a weak design. The waterjackets in this flimsy block are too close between cylinders & leave no room for error. Get this thing just a little too hot only once (& you will, as we all do), then "snap-crackle-pop" & that milky substance you now have in the crankcase is not from grand-daddy's dairy cow, I assure you. The 350 is the obviously a brute mighty mouse engine with capabilities of serious power but then again all the little boys on the block have one dont they? So...now what? Well, why not get the best of both worlds? Use them both! That's right, use parts from each. Meaning if you use a 350 block bored 30 over, a 400 crank, 6" rods, & even 9.5 pistons (with a few notchings & reliefs in the block from the local experienced machine shop) & you got yourself a high revvin 391 stroker. With the right heads, you can easily hit over 500 horse with equal torque. That's just pure terror!! As you said, install a taller rear diff & you got yourself a cruisin machine that runs off regular pump gas, looks like a 350 to even the best keen-eyed racer in the neighborhood (except for the balancer which needs to be from the 400) and you WILL tear the doors off of anything that dare comes near you. Oh yes & DO NOT FORGET....you MUST allow for a little extra clearances on the build because this engine WILL rev high, it WILL produce some insane power and things inside WILL heat up and start to expand.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:45 AM

I personaly have just had problems with the 400's overheating. but maybe thats just me
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 AM

Last photo:

Attn everyone who is backing the 350 design: As previously posted on here, I've built up a 400 SBC to a 406. I encountered an overheated issue before, but it wasn't due to the block design, just a water pump went bad on a hot some day. I had puckered up due to the temp gauge peaking out past 230 degrees and I was still 2 miles from home . I'm guessing the engine would read around 270-290 degrees if I had a gauge that would read that far. As stated before, aluminum heads and cylinders on this bad boy. I've never had any overheating issues with it up until the water pump gave out(BTW: it's a nice tight squeeze in a S10 pickup). So I'm still waiting for this milky substance you 350 guys are talking about (3,000 miles later, yes it's a daily driver with the oil changed every 1,000-1,500 miles). With enough homework and good parts the 400 will always be more superior, granted it might cost a bit more. I'm just starting to think some people are upset they didn't go with the 400 in the first place and are now dogging on the block design instead of realizing they are the ones that made the wrong initial choice. Truck is up for sale if anyone wants to buy a hell of a truck. Going to build up a 68' firebird with a blower engine as my next daily driver.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 AM

Smaller rod jurnals,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf
Killer,you kill me. Im not speaking of the radius,Im very aware of fracture and tear points,I think comparing a crank that was turned .030 with a radius and comparing it to a cut .200 externally balanced cast crank is like comparing apples to oranges. Do you really think a small diameter shaft is stronger than a large one both being radiused? I would think that would be so obvious. If you believe that so strongly,I would suggest using a small journal 327 block for your next 383 build,just Imagine the strength potential!
I'm not understanding this whole debate, are neither one of you gentleman aware that everyone in racing is using smaller rod journals to slow down the bearing speed. For example there's not a good running nascar motor out there that isn't running 1.890 bearing jurnals (aka Honda size) every prostock motor in the NHRA is running the same size journal and running 9,500/10,500rpms, nascar for 500 miles. I donot know anyone in my part of the USA that builds an all out engine that doesn't run 2" journals on the rods, especially those that want to run with the big dogs.

Zipper
Old 10-14-2006, 04:21 PM
I've got A.D.D., want some?

Chevy Motors

I love the 283, 327, 377, 383, and 400 small blocks. the 350s are ok to a point if you're a first timer
Old 10-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just wish some one with the magic powers would lock/kill this thread off!! LOL
Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

I chose "Bore your 383, get a 388" because although your title has chevy in it this part of the poll did not specify chevy and for that reason I chose a 383 Mopar which is a far superior engine to either the 383 rengineered chevy or the 400 chevy. That should end the debate, move over to the Mopar camp and you wont have to reengineer it, just hit the gas pedal and win the race.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Crikey.... this is 3 years old.....

Everybody should know by now that you can build a great SBC 383 for major bucks $$$$$$$$ LESS than a SBC 406 and make almost identical power.

Give it up. Amen.

(SBC 383 is already .030 over the stock 4.000 // .060 makes a 388)
Old 12-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Stirring it with a big stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuenchPiston
I chose "Bore your 383, get a 388" because although your title has chevy in it this part of the poll did not specify chevy and for that reason I chose a 383 Mopar which is a far superior engine to either the 383 rengineered chevy or the 400 chevy. That should end the debate, move over to the Mopar camp and you wont have to reengineer it, just hit the gas pedal and win the race.

Which Mopar 383-big-block do you prefer? The long stroke or the short stroke?

You do know they made them both ways, don't you?

And those wonderful heads.....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.