Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Which Mopar 383-big-block do you prefer? The long stroke or the short stroke?

You do know they made them both ways, don't you?

And those wonderful heads.....
LOL, yes I know they made a B and RB version. I would like to have both since I could apply the engine that worked best for the situation.

Just havn fun.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Have fun, go fast, be safe...they are both good motors

Last edited by droptoplarry; 12-26-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=droptoplarry]I understand that the 400 has steam ports instead of "water jackets" in the heads, which I would think would lead to cooling issues. An old gear head rebuilt a 72 chevy 400 for me when I was in So. Cal. back in the late 70's told me there is no replacement for displacement when I had considered selling that motor and stroking a 350. I guess it really is each persons preference. If I had the money to spend, I'd like to see how a Hardcore 454 small block would push my droptop down the road [/If it goes fast, it can be made to go faster...]
Old 12-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

[B]This thread it three stinking years old!!! Someone Please lock this thing, i'm tired of getting notifications in my email that this thing has been replied to again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Old 12-26-2006, 07:35 PM
U.S. Army Retired

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
[B]This thread it three stinking years old!!! Someone Please lock this thing, i'm tired of getting notifications in my email that this thing has been replied to again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
I concur!!! Here comes another note for you
Old 12-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Mark
Holding face with a really sideways look, all you have to do is click on Thread Tools at the top and then click on Unsubscribe from this Thread. Oh my gosh that is so harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. Why lock something because YOU don't want to play anymore. New members come on here all the time, perhaps they want to play too. You had you chance, now be a nice boy and let others have a turn. Jeeeeeeeeeez, the selfish goulags in this world! 53 years old, I pray I don't get like you when I get older. I feel like I have to take a shower now!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:

Mark

Just unsubscribe to this thread by hitting "REPLY", then where it says "Thread subscription/ notification type" click on "no email notification".
Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuenchPiston
LOL, yes I know they made a B and RB version. I would like to have both since I could apply the engine that worked best for the situation.

Just havn fun.
The long stroke is 4.03 bore and 3.75 stroke = just like the Chevy stroker.

The short stroke is a BIG bore of 4.250 and 3.38 stroke.

Chrysler thought the short stroke was better. I had one NEW one in 66 and it was a pathetic hog. Wouldn't turn a tire. Period. 3.23 non posi. I moved on to a 400 Pontiac.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Chrysler thought the short stroke was better. I had one NEW one in 66 and it was a pathetic hog. Wouldn't turn a tire. Period. 3.23 non posi. I moved on to a 400 Pontiac.
Must have been your luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Oh yea, check out this discussion. You might find this enlightening as well lol.
400 Pontiac vs. 400 Chevy

Inevitably as usual it turned into a chevy is better debate and no engine will ever dethrone the chevy sb as king, king of the crap pile if you ask me. No other engine in history has ever been re-engineered from nut to bolt as this engine but its still the best engine in the world. Then again sheep are just as easy to lead. Baaaaaaaaahahahaaahaaaaaaa
Old 12-27-2006, 08:29 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuenchPiston
Holding face with a really sideways look, all you have to do is click on Thread Tools at the top and then click on Unsubscribe from this Thread. Oh my gosh that is so harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. Why lock something because YOU don't want to play anymore. New members come on here all the time, perhaps they want to play too. You had you chance, now be a nice boy and let others have a turn. Jeeeeeeeeeez, the selfish goulags in this world! 53 years old, I pray I don't get like you when I get older. I feel like I have to take a shower now!!!
The next time you talk to a member like that you will not be posting here any more. Consider yourself warned.

tom
Old 12-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

It's no big deal to me. Sometimes the threads take on a life of their own and stray from the original topic and the same info gets posted a hundred times and nothing is accomplished. The main problem is when "beat to death" threads get brought back up again, it bumps off recent threads, sometimes before they have a chance for some good replies.

As far as un-subscribing to this thread, I have......3 times!!! but it keeps coming back to my email. LOL I guess at 53 years old and close to 3000 posts, I"m just too stupid to figure out this here darn cornfangled contraption you young'ns call a konputar!!

BTW.....showers are a good thing! Been staining all day, think I'll go take one too.

Mark

Last edited by Jmark; 12-27-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Can't find the shower! Where is my cane!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

rad post.... i was thinking of building hot 327"large j" but am now thinking of scat 383 DR will a hot 327 pull its own ?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
AUTO TECH STUDENT

There Is A Replacement For Displacement It Called Nitrous My Buddys Building A 400 Im Building A 383 Were Going To Dyno Them In About A Month Ill Post The Numbers N/a And Well See Who Wins
Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 PM

As time goes by, parts for the 383 will be more plentiful and the 400 harder to find. I am going to spend my dollars where they will do the most good, and continue to pay off when it comes time to rebuild.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.