Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 19 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourallabnchofQrs
what about turbos...

isn't that a good replacement?
of coarse not... because you ignorant f**kers believe in spending $2000 to get 100 hp....
why... you ****ing idiot...

I ran that setup 10 passes a week all summer for 6 years not to mention the daily driven aspects...
with simple preventative maintenance... maybe and battey once and a alternator, oil changes, coolant flushes..
**** you would do anyway.....

just a thought....
slap a couple of turbos on it... you'll have more air....
nowturn up the fuel.... you're done..
haven't you ever heard of grass roots drags....
under $750 in mods on a stock car, and show receipts to qualify...
been to atleast 100 of them...
won maybe 10 -15 of em...

don't be a ***... NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACMENT? except THIS, That, oh yeah and that too... oh yeah and don't forget thais....

The Validity of the statement is gone now...
Stop using it or I"ll swing by and kick you in the nuts....

and as for my vote.... the 400 is better than the 383...
just because all the fuc*ing retards will ask you. why'd you put a dodge motor in your nova? so you can explain what a 383 is to them.... and then say... *******.. My time is too important.

Is this allowed here?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
"CHEVY"THE ANTI-RICE!!!

Last photo:

Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason

ya that man has a problems .he needs to chill out
Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406chevycaprice
ya that man has a problems .he needs to chill out
i think that is probably quenchpiston, pissing and moanig
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Stroke a 400 and make a 415 now you've got somthin.* Had to grind oil pan rail for rod clearence worst part of assembly but that wasn't hard just time consuming.* Motor makes tons of torque pulls like any big block and revs 7000rpm will forged lower end with splayed main caps.* No over heating problems with good radiator runs 180 all day long. This motor will smoke a 383 in torque and HP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 248a.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	27357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 241a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	27358  
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

SBC ,can you feel the love

I have a turbojet bb (396)in the the barn a long with 283,327 many350s and one 400 . 402 out of a wagon a few 406s and
454s -427 out of my 65 vett -toast.but it's sbc I love

oh by the way for those that care my 1956 Desoto Firedome V8 still runs
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

man this was a tough one, i voted for the 383 only because it's easier to find the blocks, easier to find performance pistons that will give you a compression capable of running pump fuel. and not having to drill the steam holes in the heads. as per hp "there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement" so for a track motor it's a 400 all day long, the only problem is that you may have to order an aftermarket block to do it. if you can find a decent 400 block that is what i would say build, but i'm sure it wont be too hard to find a 350 block lying around. this is really the only reason i chose the 383 over the 400
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 AM
busted knuckles

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
"there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement"
dam right. of course theres heads/cam/intake and all that to worry about but when you get down to it, more room for combustion is better
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I always wanted to try a 383 only the other way, put a 350 crank in a 400 block, use some 6" rods. Actually it's a 377 so you'd have to bore it.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:20 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
I always wanted to try a 383 only the other way, put a 350 crank in a 400 block, use some 6" rods. Actually it's a 377 so you'd have to bore it.
I've seen these, and still don't understand the attraction Take a big motor and make it smaller,.... yeah, that will make you faster

Car Craft Magazine did this very test a few years ago, built a 383 and a 377 using the same heads, cam, intake carb, ect, the only difference was the bore and stroke...and there wasn't 5 hp difference between the two on these 500-ish hp engines

It's a step in the wrong direction, a myth perpetuated by the "short stroke revs quicker" beleivers who don't really understand what the are talking about.

The same 6" rod on a 3.75"(stock 400) stroke crank in a 400 block will will smoke a 377 if built to the same performance level.

383 or 395(3.875" stroke) for me, but only if I can't find a 400 block and have to start with a 350 block. If it is an aftermarket block I start at 406 or go bigger yet.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

only problem ,way more 350 blocks out then 400's

For most young guys it's way easier to find good four bolt 350's then good four bolt 400's.

Jegs & Summit and others sell 383 bare blocks , short blocks and long blocks. All are either reworked 350 blocks or new blocks preped for stroker crank.
400 blocks are fine and if you have a good one it's the way to go.cubes over revs
Heavy bbc over lighter sbc. Less cost for parts sbc over bbc
Need to beef up front end suspension for bbc in some F ,G bodied GM cars
I started wrenching and racing Chevys ,Olds, Pontiac around 1956 . We will always debate big block over small block.
And that is as it should be. Gearheads bumping heads
How else will we fine the next best thing to stoke the fire
in building our cars . jd out of here
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM

which is better the 383 or 400 ci engine

Actually depending on how you intendon using your engine one is as good as the other.

What people fail to understand is that when building a performance vehicle, car, truck or roller skate you have to decide on how you intend on using that performance vehicle. Then you also determine what power band the engine will be operating in most of the time, how heavy is the vehicle etc etc etc. The once you get all the details together you can then determin if you need a torque monster or whatever.

Example If uyou are running a very light weight vehicle and it`s only going to race stop light to stop light the 383ci would be ideal.

On the other hand if the vehicle weighs 4000 pounds then you need the torque monster that a stroked 400 ci will deliver.

As far as which is the better quality, I think you`ll find that with the small block chevy`s there is not much difference in any of them. Gm has had their game together for years with the little mouse engine. One is as good as the other as long as you set it up properly and don`t ask it to do something it`s not intended on doing.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

something else to remember, when boring a 350 into a 383 especially if its a motor youve picked up from a junkyard, machine shop, etc is deffinately check to see if its been prebored to some degree, you also have to worry about thin spots or weak spots in the cylinder walls. me personally id just take the 400 and throw it in as is! just clean it back up, do the standard bearing change, gasket replacement, etc and enjoy driving the tires off of it!!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

Wheew. lots of heated debate here lately . I built a 377 a few years ago. not because I felt it was "better", but because it more closely met my needs at the time. I wanted the most CI that I could put in an internally balanced engine on a reasonable budget. it's a 2600lb mid engine car that's street driven. I'm happy with the end result, and that's what counts in my book.

<press any key to continue>
Russ
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflyingpigs
For most young guys it's way easier to find good four bolt 350's then good four bolt 400's.

Jegs & Summit and others sell 383 bare blocks , short blocks and long blocks. All are either reworked 350 blocks or new blocks preped for stroker crank.
400 blocks are fine and if you have a good one it's the way to go.cubes over revs
Heavy bbc over lighter sbc. Less cost for parts sbc over bbc
Need to beef up front end suspension for bbc in some F ,G bodied GM cars
I started wrenching and racing Chevys ,Olds, Pontiac around 1956 . We will always debate big block over small block.
And that is as it should be. Gearheads bumping heads
How else will we fine the next best thing to stoke the fire
in building our cars . jd out of here
"Good 4 bolt 400"

Actuall the 400 block is rejected by a lot of hard core racers due to a weakness in the block webbing. The 2 bolt block is the more desirable with it`s thicker web design, then you ad a good set of 4 bolt caps and align hone. My choice would definitely be the 2 bolt block over the 4 bolt block if I were building a performance engine.

Did you know that the GM 400CI block was cast in both 2 and 3 freeze plug castings? Yup, shore nuff. So if you are one of these fellers who can tell a 400 from all other small block chebies just by looking at the freeze plugs, well you may want to start using the casting numbers because some 400`s look like any other small block in the freeze plug areas.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

IIRC the thickness of the bulkheads are similar between the 2- and 4-bolt 400 SBC blocks. It's the added bolt holes used to make it a non-splayed cap (i.e. factory) 4-bolt block that causes the bulkheads to become weaker. Because the factory doesn't do splayed caps (prolly cost/difficulty to do the operation on the block machining line where the drilling is in one plane), they opted for the wide register 2-bolt cap on the last 400 SBC blocks instead.

The 2-bolt block is preferred for a splayed cap 4-bolt conversion, 350 or 400.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.