Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have two 400's.........

If you can find them, the 400 is a better running engine.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

? I know it probably makes more power, but a 400 definitely has more issues than a 383. I don't think you can say its a "better" running engine with siamesed cylinders.

K
Old 02-04-2004, 12:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Acually in alot of ways siamesed cylinders are Superior
Old 02-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

For power, it's hard to beat the bigger bore of the 400"!!

Properly done, with a good cooling system - there shouldn't be any 'cooling issues'!!

If I was going to build a 350 based stroker though, it would be a late model hyd. roller block w/one pc. rear seal. You can build a 383" for similar money as a 350". For a bit more, you can go with a 396" SB.

Personally, I think the factory roller setup with a performance hyd. roller cam is more of a 'selling point' than the bigger bore of the 400". At least, for anything other than an all-out race engine!!

Single biggest 'negative' for the 400" factory blocks, has to be the thin cylinder walls.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the heat has to be uneven in a 400 block, causing (probably, just speculation here) uneven wear. There are no roller 400 blocks (not that big of a deal I guess, you could retrofit for some extra $). I guess its always been told to me to stay away from them because they simply have less cooling passages than a 350 block and thinner walls. I've also "heard" that they blow head-gaskets more easily. Anybody have details on this?

K
Old 02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
the heat has to be uneven in a 400 block, causing (probably, just speculation here) uneven wear. There are no roller 400 blocks (not that big of a deal I guess, you could retrofit for some extra $). I guess its always been told to me to stay away from them because they simply have less cooling passages than a 350 block and thinner walls. I've also "heard" that they blow head-gaskets more easily. Anybody have details on this?

K
Never seen uneven wear be a problem or heard of it for that matter. The 400's don't have less cooling passages to my knowledge, just no room between the cylinders. I am also not certain that the walls are thinner than all 350s. The cylinders are simesed to allow a decent wall thickness. It would be interesting if anyone out there has sonic tested them to know for sure. The old wives tales are not always real accurate. I have never had any problem keeping my 400 cool on the street. I dont even have a wonderful cooling system. I think that is also a wives tale.

Chris
Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM

Ya turbo s10 I think you hit the nail on the head there are alot of old wives tails that float about for the 400sb. It is true that the 400's don't have very thick cylinder walls but the same can be said for alot of the later 350 castings and especially the 305 castings. This in its self isn't really to much for a problem unless you are planing a large over bore. As for the head gasket sealing trouble I don't think that would be anything to worry about, even if it was true with modern head head gasket technology. The siamesed cylinder have been used in other engines to very successfully I might mention.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:54 AM
S10 Super Sleepers

Last photo:

You couldn't give me a 400.................. Not to mention finding heads with that damn steam hole............
Old 02-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by scott011422
You couldn't give me a 400.................. Not to mention finding heads with that damn steam hole............
Something tells me that is because you have never had one. Oh and "that damn steam hole" you mentioned is actually a pair.

Tell you what if anyone ever trys you can give me a call and I will get the junk off your hands.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 AM
junk collector

And you can drill steam holes in heads that dont have them, so finding heads with steam holes isnt a problem......
Old 02-05-2004, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

2 Cents

I have to go with the 383.
Bottom end of the 400 has always had problems with weak structure. Out of 10 blown 400's, 8 will be because of problems with the mains and / or crank. Yup, today you can buy a better crank. The variety of parts available for the 400 are very limited. In the last two - three years it has gotten better but not as good a selection as the 383. There is no replacement for displacement, except maybe RPM. 400 balance is a must and 383 balance is desirable. Harder to find blocks? How many do you want? I cheat, I get mine down in Mexico.
Both are good engines but I need to travel between CA & WI. I donut go to the strip anymore. I need the 383. Well hey, that is 2 cents from a guy that only builds 383s from 350 / 4 bolts.

hr41pearl
Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:

Over heating on a 400 is a wives tale.
If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.
If the motor is built correctly and the chassis is setup for cooling there is no problem except for the ones that don't take any advise.
What head gasket problem ? Maybe the dummys that reuse head gaskets.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by scott011422
I drilled those "damned steam holes" on my Sportsman II heads. It was really easy.

My damned 400 is an extremely streetable torque monster that never even heats up. I'd say it gets over 450 ft./lbs. of torque. Damn! It gets a damned 15 miles to the gallon. That damned 19 in. of vacuum at 700 RPM is killing me too. Those damned 234o of duration are getting eaten up to the point of an almost stock idle.
Now that is a super sleeper.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

That's a damn fine reply.....
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 PM

Cubes vs weakened 400 crank,hmmm,let me think about that.

Most of the overheating problems I found in 400s were directly linked to the fact the heads cracked,but so did the 350s of that era.

Drill out better ones,thats what I do and Ive never had a problem with heat.

Last edited by rifraf; 02-05-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.