Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 21 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383-400 ?

With today's aftermarket Kit's Might as well just go to the 434 combo with the 400 block, or it is a 396 with a 350 block @ .030 overbore in each. The 400 block is preferred because it unshroud's the Valves. Both stock block's require the same upgrades to live above 500HP for any length of time in extreme use. I personally have a 396 combo LT1 set up in one of my Camaro's Great street combo. If I could have used the 400 block for that I would have, But to keep the stock electronics would have been a Nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NastyRat For This Useful Post:
hogger52 (03-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

What should happen here is to have a mod lock this down mainly because if the topic wasn't well covered in 21 page,it ant going be.Prevent grave diggers from a unreasonable expectation of a review of those same 21 pages and preserve the same as a archive.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger52 View Post
Well, first off this is my first post on this site and have been reading alot from you guys and hope to learn a few things.
I am old school hot rodder from the golden days of muscle cars. My first project, engine build was a 65 Chevy Impala SS 396 convertible that I bought for $500.00 that was blowing smoke, so I with the help of a couple friends, rebuilt the motor. It didn't go that well as I remember, but that was in about 1971.
So now I have taken up the task of rebuilding a 73 Chevy Cheyenne 4X4 half ton truck. I bought it with a 400 in it and it actually ran pretty good, but I had this vibration problem with it and assumed it was a U joint. I changed them all till I did some reading about the 400 being externally balanced and sure enough at 2800 RPM it was quite severe. I pulled the motor and found that the flywheel looked as though someone shot it with a 9mm. Perfect round dent in it. I am thinking that is the problem, but I decided to sit it on the shelf for now and bought a 350 from the junk guy that was in a 92 chevy truck and it was a TBI motor. I wanted to get a roller cam motor, but this one didn't have the roller cam, but has the bolt holes for the spider and the larger lifter bosses. So at this point I have a 400 block and a 350 roller cam block that both need to be rebuilt. At this point I would say I lean towards the 350 and the reasoning behind that is I am not a fan of an externally balanced engine and am looking into getting the vortec motor to the machine shop to have it de-greased, magnafluxed and possibly bored or line bored.
That's my take on it, for what it's worth. Hope I didn't bore you guys with this long drawn out read.
The heads that came on your TBI engine are known as swirl port heads. Depending on how you want to build the 350 (stock or towing, or high performance), they may or may not be what you want to use. Basically they're good truck heads, but not so much for high performance.

BTW, your TBI 350 SBC is technically a Vortec engine, but do not confuse that w/the popular L31 Vortec engine, which uses the L31 Vortec heads.

IMO if both need an equal amount of work, I would build the 400.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM

383 or 400?

I would really have to go with the 383. I have had a lot of 400's, (I have 5 right now) and have had a lot of problems. Stock 400 blocks are really prone to cracking. At least that has been my experience. For a drag race engine, great, but for a street engine I would have to go with a short rod 383. I don't beleive the hype about longer rod engines. I have never been able to tell the difference between a 5.56 rod 383 or a 5.7 383 and I have driven both.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.