Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What's the better motor?
400 SBC 214 45.63%
383 SBC 160 34.12%
Bore your 383, get a 388 22 4.69%
They're equally good street motors 73 15.57%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Not necessarily,but possibly,you should check it though. In some cases you need to clearance the bolts a small amount,one thing that comes to mind though,you don't plan on running too big of cam on cast,or,hypereutectic pistons do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

235 245 duration @.050 and .490 .500 lift cam. Also I am going to be running 1.6 rockers. not that big of cam in my opinion.

thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 11:28 PM

Im not familiar with that grind,but it may well be a small base circle cam and you may be fine,Im a forged piston over 5000 guy,just me,but keep in mind,the more your stroke increases and the shorter the rod gets,the more need you have for a forged piston,whatever way you go,get really good bolts and resize em.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I know, I always bring up the link to the place where I bought my engine kit, but here it is again:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...479261346&rd=1

This kit worked really well for me. It uses the hypereutectic pistons and 5.7 rods. It does not require a small base circle cam.

When you use 1.6 rocker arms it does not make any difference in the clearance between the cam and the rods.

I have 11:1 compression and spin 6,000 RPMs with no troubles. The hypereutectics hold up just fine, at the same time reducing wear and tear on the engine.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 AM

Don't even think about that 383 or 400 stuff.
I have a small block mototown 427. It runs great with TPI(custom chip). Check out there web site
www.worldcastings.com
Who needs those lillte motors..
But I would take a 383 over a 400 any day they run cooler
Old 05-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Any different rod in a 400 can cause some clearance problems. My 6 inch rod 400 had clearance problems on the cylinder bores and cam. I notched the bores a little and clearanced the rods as well for the cam problem.

I think that for a race engine, the 6 inch is by far better. The advantage has little to do with RPM capability and more to do with durability. With better rod angle piston side loading is reduced and there is less stress on everything south of the heads because of this. But, for the street 6 inchers are not really suitable because of the thinner rings required by moving the rod so far up in the piston as well as the short pistons tendancy to rock in the bore after a little wear. I have one 5.65 inch and one 6 inch rod 400 and I can say they both run very strong. Both have fat cams and ported oem heads and both RPM very quickly. They are too different to do a side by side comparison, but both are great engines.

Chris
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 PM

I still don't get the cooling issue,the only cooling issues Ive ever seen stemmed from a cracked head,undrilled heads,or the wrong head gaskets,and Ive seen them put to some extreme conditions and run every bit as cool as anything else with equal power,I would never choose a 383 over a 400 unless I had the stuff laying around and had a truck that needed a transplant,I agree with turboS10 but choose a 5.7 as Ive not had any clearance issues with the streetable hydrolic cams Ive used,and whats another 50 bucks.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I thought about running a 6" rod. The 5.7s looked a lot better to me. At least for a street driven engine that will hopefully see a lot of miles. I wasn't into the idea of having the piston pins into the ring lands.

Of course 6" rods need clearancing. I didn't find any 6 inchers that didn't.

5.7" rods have a much better chance of clearing. Most do without modification. The ones that usually need clearancing, only need the rod bolts ground down a little.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:40 AM

....I voted for the 400. I've got/had a 400 that is bored out to 415 and although it runs hot, it doesn't overheat. With a Ron Davis aluminum 4 core radiator. It put out 499 foot pounds of TQ. @ 4000 RPM & 438 HP @ 5250 RPM. It could probably use a little bigger cam. It has Air Flow Research 195 heads..... Bill.....
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 AM

Last journal entry: 1956 buick special
Last photo:

I HAVE SEEN A KILLER MOUSE,A MIGHTY MOUSE!

Check out this website,its going to be in construction but its defantly worth it.I have seen all vertions of this car and it kicks some serious butt!!try like 7:15 @196mph!!! and on street legal DOT tires NOT SLICKS like them southern boys like to play with!http://www.streetlethal.ca/ its a 377ci sbc ,400 with a 350 crank and he wines the piss right out of her!with a 14-71 blower and on alcohol.she always kills the moutain motor on a hole shot and comes on strong at the finnish like a frieght train"she thinks shes a big block"just another combo!WITH BALLS...later Jake
Old 05-29-2004, 10:21 AM

That combo does work good for a winding package,6" rods fit better with it too,never seen one with a blower run yet though,short stroke big bore blower motors kind of throw a twist to my no replacement for displacement comments.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

shes a screamer!

I have seen this combo run on drag boats ,top comp,pro-mod,pro-street with alot of grunt"2,500hp ,with crank support bearing and live 40 runs down the track and 10 to 20 out on the street in full dress.before needing any "major"attintion.the mighty mouse has gone aginst 540ci,650ci,572ci,700ci,450,ci and came out on top manny times and is curent fastest street dot tire in the north west,well its off to work I go, cause we all know our hobie is more expensive than supplying a heroen addiction!...Jake
Old 05-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

ah yes,memorial weekend big$$$$at work time to relax!

back to the mighty mouse from what I understand of the combo its a 2 bolt high nickel content block with milodon splayed main caps turned into a 4 bolt main,believe it or not this combo is stronger than a 400 stock 4 bolt,and there are more of them around.like I said just seeing is to believe!,oh yea and the best part,this thing runs on alcohol so no over heating problems,if she gets warm all you do is fatten up the tune"make her run rich"which cools the motor down,which unlike a gas engine makes even more power,alcohol motors dont fall on there face like a gas motor does when they run rich. then watch your exhaust pirometer when she starts to get to cool you just lean her out,and she warms up.cake and frosting and eat it to,of course you do need a tanker truck to haul your fuel.but with a octane rating of 165 you can cruse on set to "KILL"all day long.advantages of a "SPRINT CAR"part converted for the street it is called "DIAL A JET"simple but very effective.well no rest for the wicked,breaks over later I must go back to work...Jake
Old 05-29-2004, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

over heat?

now my view of the over heat issue,I have had 2 400 sbc and never had a problem with over heating,but I have herd of individuals swaping 350 heads for the 400 and useing the wrong gasket set,and the wrong set with 400 heads to accommodate the steam "holes"thus cracked heads.my 400 sbc liked to run in the 190 to 205 temp range but could be due to the cooling characteristics of my 1st hot rod a 1959 vette the cooling system gets air locked and needs bled "burped"the radiator is lower than the engine and at a angle \ .a great motor were Iam concerned."power to weight ratio"..later Jake
Old 05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

377? alky?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.