Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 11:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The Best Is Obvoius

You can't go worng with the 400 SBC. You're lucky if you can find one of the few left "509" castings. These have a higher nickel content and stronger block eliminate the thinner cylinder wall problem alot of people give the 400. They are just jealous because they weren't smart enough to do the 400 in the first place. With mine, I can run with the 13.5:1 357's and still smoke them with out having to tear down my engine every 1-2 seasons. Oh, while they are running race gas I'm still on the 91 octo. With more cubes you don't have to build the engine as extreme to get the same power as the lower cubic engines, thus being directly proportional to reliabilty. So any one up to the challenge, go luck. I'm packing 406 rated at 506 HP w/ 526 lbs. of torque in my '91 S-10. Anyone wanna play? HAHA Until then, I'll have my reliable pump gas feed engine waiting. Better hurry though, it's getting put on the bottle this winter. And for other discussions, it's being held up by 2 bolt mains.

Last edited by Sporttrucker; 08-28-2005 at 04:30 PM.