ok lets see how many monte carlo people agree - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok lets see how many monte carlo people agree

ok here it is chevy is bring back the camaro in o8 rear wheel drive v-8 and in 09 they are going to make the impala rear drive also v8. so i guess what i am trying to say is why do the not take a car that is already out thier like the monte carlo and make it a rear wheel drive car in stead of a front wheel pice of junk i know in 06 the made the monte v-8 but left it front wheel drive why do the always leave out the monte carlo i mean lets face the monte carlo has been a muscle car for a long time no other car that was produced has won nascar More times and i know if the build it it will out sell the camaro and impala both together. who dose these studies when it come to putting these cars out its has been long over due give the monte what it has worked to become a lot of you out their probly do agree with me but the monte has been produced longer and has been in more automotive events the any other chevy made and yes it is still on the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

The bean counters do the studies

Since the current Monte is basically a 2-dr Impala, GM is probably gonna push it as long as they can.

I have read somewhere that GM is contemplating returning to rear drive on a few platforms.

Personally I think the Impala/Monte should be included, along with a redesign of the rear of the Impala----Should have 3 taillights on each side--at least 2 and a backup lamp all in a row.

With the introduction of this front drive Impala---the car has lost ALL of it's individuality.

Bryan
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Moving to lounge....And Mike, Take a breath and try using a couple of periods, commas and capital letters...................
Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

To me, it's just another slap in the wang from Chevrolet. The Monte Carlo has kinda been the understated underdog since it came back. Originally, it had luxury and performance, then more performance than luxury with the re-intro of the Monte SS in '83. Then along came the horrible return in the form of a car that could do niether. A 3.4 isn't a performance engine by any stretch, and let's be real in the luxury--plastic in excess is never stylish.

They should have left the nameplate under lock and key with the last 4th gen Monte to leave the plant. The newer Monte's have played their part out for one last run, let them die out now before GM is forced to shut all vehicle production down and close it's doors. Realistically, GM should have shut down in '71, IMO. I cannot think of one decent offering to roll out of the GM plant (my '78 Monte, my truck-- hack that, both my old truck and my present one--, and the Mrs.'s car included) that was worth the new price tag on it, excepting possibly the Corvette. I'm not going to judge that until I get to drive one of those. Greed, lousy performance, poor design quality, and a general lack of care from the corporate office down to the line workers is where I point to find the basis for my opinions. Look no further than the production SSR to see what I mean.

And, in regards to Nascar and Monte, the car of tomorrow will relagate any semblance of a link between a prodution Monte and todays racing Monte SS to a distant memory. That's kinda the direction Nascar's first family is heading the sport now, as I see it. A couple of years from now Nascar will implode in a way that will make the F1 fiasco look like a bad prom date.

I'm stepping down off the podium now..........

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Well, most analysts are saying that Detroit will eventually be reduced to making specialty cars and trucks which has been the bread and butter of their profit for years. Its interesting because Detroit may actually go back to building muscle cars, but we won't have any "big three" anymore. If it weren't for so many guys losing jobs, I'd say hooray for that. Get rid of all these poor-man's sports cars. These ugly cars that have no style, not a lot of power and have pretty lame gas mileage and go back to paring down your market to the things you do well! I would love to see a boxy, rear-wheel drive Monte, and I think the market wants one too. For examples of how this might be successful, look no further than the new dodge charger and the ford mustang. Car and driver jumped all over the new stang for having primitive handling characteristics. Market response: WE DON'T CARE. We never have! All of our cars have been tire smoking strait line loud cars that are basically wallowing masses of excess tearing down the road and heaven forbid if you ever want to stop! How much louder do we have to shout to say the obvious?! Build us something a normal flipping person can actually afford, that we can get a V8 in, that's loud, no frills and goes fast. These cars sell. Build them.

K
Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Well said killer.... well said. Next gathering, I'll buy you a round.

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Chevy is not going to RWD the Monte, I believe it is going away, soon. Chevy is going to share the Camaro platform with the Impala to be able to sell Camaro's at a decent price. The smaller Chevy's will remain FWD. The Camaro will compete with the Challanger and the Mustang.
GM has big plans for the Impala, with the new chassis they will be able to use the LS2 @ 400+ hp. rumors also have a six speed manual being possible.
The GM car of tomorrow is going to be an Impala, it may make it's first showing as a Monte but the Impala versions have already been spotted in testing.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

If Chevy was to remodel the Monte Carlo, give it that more oldschool g-body look, and throw a v8 in there...I would be very happy. Very happy because my father would buy one, and I would drive it .
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I have nothing against the looks of the current Monte, but where is the tire shredding luxury it was born with? I always think of Monte's as understated power with good drivability. Put an 8 in the nose of that car, put the drivewheels in the back and let's make some smoke coming off the proper end of the car (the only exception is the El Dorado and the Toronado). You know what come after that? Cut the back up an make it an El Camino! Accounting will probably find some way to screw that up...

Anyways, GM is only half right and mostly missing the mark. GM is just a shell of what it once was.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

hello

thanks for the response to my add and hey i am a car guy and think if the build a rear drive v-8 Monte Carlo it will sell if you build they will come. as for if the do away with the monte carlo again i am going to sell all of mine and buy f---s and that just bad talk any way thanks again
Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

As much as I admire the technology that goes into a new car, I will not buy a new car. My newest car is a 1985 Buick. I have a problem with cars that have the potential to rat me out to the government for modifications or any other alleged hiccup that may or may not be necessary to it's survival. Instead I have no problem taking the new technology and giving it an old school twist and placing it into a more deserving engine bay. I could not care less if one LED in my right tail light is out, the computer is there to maximize performance not keep track of the number of cupholders in use.

My main interest is keeping GMPP alivefor the benefit of the hobby (industry?) and the advancements that can be used in vintage tin.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

I agree "1982SS". My newest car is a 88 SS Monte. I could have a new car, but I guess I'm from the old school. I think the 88 Monte was the last of the real Monte Carlos. (JMO) It would be nice to see a Monte similar to the new Camaro produced. Wishful thinking!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

If there's going to be a RWD V-8 Chevy "musclecar" then it damn well better be called a Chevelle.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Saleslady at my local Chevy dealer says only the Impala is going to be rear wheel drive.

People on different Monte boards say the Monte is gone after 2007.

Already the LTZ model and 3.9 engine are discontinued.

Lots of speculation on if/when the Monte will return and will it ever be RWD again?

We test drove a 2006 SS Monte. That thing would get me in trouble if I owned it.

I did buy an '06 LTZ that my local dealer found for me. Got it last month. The car is loaded.

This month it's "Monte of the Monte" for november on the Monte Carlo Forums site. (thank you very much guys)

Here's a picture of it setting next ot my '86 LS Monte.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
If there's going to be a RWD V-8 Chevy "musclecar" then it damn well better be called a Chevelle.

As much as I like your statement hippie, If GM actually did that, you probably wouldn't like it.
Remember this last GTO from the past couple years.....Thats probably what's gonna happen with any of there newer cars.

Brad

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.