ok... now this is intresting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question ok... now this is intresting

quick short story

week 1 left break/tail light was out - replaced
week 2 left light out again - replaced
week 3 both lights gone out - didn't have time to play with it
week 4(this week) i have replaced all the lights in the back of my car, i also replaced the sockets for the tail/break light and the 194 socket for the side tail light

when both lights were out i didn't drive the car FYI

the sockets that were replaced for the most part was in bad shape, the wires are also contaminated and made it a real pain to solder to, but all lights are working again - and here is where it throws me

if the hazard lights are flashing, and u aply breaks both in front and rear the light goes solid, but it doesn't do this with turn signals, and it doesn't matter if the headlights are on or not

tomarrow i am going to replace both the flashers just incase, and my questions are... why is it doing this? what the diffrence between thermal and electronic flashers, which is better? and could this be why it blew out the lights in the first place even though i haven't used my hazards?

thx
Camaro76

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

It sounds like you have a short somewhere, or a wire crossed. When I was at a driving school, they had the cars wired so the 4-ways would com on when you hit the brakes. That way they could tell from the tower in front if you were hitting the brakes in the middle of a corner. Recheck your wires.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:21 PM

Your car has the emergency flasher tied in after the blinker wires run through the turn signal lever so that when your just using a turn signal you will have brake cancellation so that your brake doesn't cancel out the signal. it's a little hard to explain the wiring but that sounds like its correct , if your on the freeway and something happens to cause you to put the emergency flashers on you want the guy behind you to know when your stepping on your brakes.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

my 75 vette, my old chev van , and my old vega were all the same. was this diffrent before??
Old 05-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

only thing i noticed diffrent was it makes the front to stay on also, the rear makes sence, the front don't
Old 05-29-2004, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

ahhh ive had these problems recently in my trans am i had one short circuit from the ignition to the hazards frayed wires...so when i went to start the hazards came on ..i think gm harneses are weirdly designed....took me a month of sundays to find that one problem..the i called the auto electrician...
Old 05-29-2004, 04:00 PM

o.k. i just checked my brothers 84 olds my 56 ford and 89 silverado and they all do the same thing, the front go's solid when i step on the brakes with the emergency flashers on. so your lights are probably working correctly .
Old 05-29-2004, 09:47 PM

And I would bet that your 56 Ford has a chevy column right? Chevrolet always had a set up that the four way flashers stopped four way flashing when the brake is applied. The brake light feeds thru the flasher so that the flasher can overide the brake when the turn signal is on. Ford had the emergency flasher wired before the brake and Chevy had it after so the brake cancels the four ways. WOW I just confused the heck out of me
Old 05-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey, mine's paid for, Punk.

OK, after reading this, I wonder....

My 77 Ford LTD does something similar, BUT the front lights turn on solid with the brake lights WITHOUT the hazards on... Also, I just replaced the turn flasher relay and now the front turns only work when the hazards are on, but the rears both just flash, no matter which turn signal is on... Any advice? Sounds like we got a bunch of knowledgeable electricians on here. Sorry for just adding to the madness, but I didn't want to start a new post about a similar problem.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:29 PM

Gemini86, In my humiliating I mean humble opinion, your problem is bad bad grounds.
You might check this though, are you sure you replaced the turn signal flasher and not the emergency flasher?
Sure sounds like bad ground to me tho it is getting late.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

You said the wires were pretty badly contaminated ... you may need to rewire completely. I know you don't want to hear that, but if the wires are that bad, they could be shorting out all over the place.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 PM

48LCCOUPE-

I haven't had a flasher relay in for a couple weeks now because the leads were rusted and broke off when I pulled the old one... The hazards worked then, but only if I had one of the signals on. Sooooo I pulled the wires from the back of the fuse block and put in a new turn relay. (Yes, it's hooked up properly, I'm OCD about that) Now, the flashers only work in the front when the hazards are on. Where is the hazards relay located? under the dash? I know I'll have to pull wiring eventually, but I didn't want to do it until I have another car to drive, as this is my daily beater for now.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

My fuse block has 2 relays ... 1 hazard and one turn sigs.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-30-2004, 07:30 PM

My 82 mustang had two also, one on the fuse block and behind the dash on the passenger side. Should I look over there? I want to pull all the wiring and install a painless system later on... but for now, I would hope that I can just solve this small problem... Thanks for the help so far guys...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.