Hot Rod Forum banner

Is It OK To Remove Carb Choke Plate ?

18K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  leejoy 
#1 ·
Hi-

this is a follow up thread to 2 of my earlier threads about carb problems at wide open throttle (WOT). See "runs like crap with air cleaner on", and "carburetor venturi velocities".

Here is the question: Would removing the choke plate (leaving the choke tower intact) cause any problems with carburetor operation, specifically at WOT?

Before you say NO, consider the fact that the carb was built and flow tested by the manufacturer (Holley) with the choke plate in place. Consider that the choke plate may act as an "air straighener" for the primary throttles. Consider the fact that on large engines, the venturi velocities are in the neighborhood of 400 feet per second (FPS) (depending on the size of the carb). that's about 300 MPH.

I will test this theory later today when I field test my car with and without a choke plate. I'll have to find a choke plate from a spare carb and install it. I am guessing that the answer is NO, that the choke plate is not a required element for WOT performance but I may be wrong. I will keep this thread updated with my results.

Lee

See less See more
#4 ·
Simply removing a choke plate (or milling away the air horn for that matter) is not necessarily going to cause any flow restriction/interrupted air flow (only a bench flow test is going to prove this). The first modification to a strip car is the plate removal to remove the flow resistance.

I haven't read the other thread, but I doubt this is going to help whatever situation you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.