ok to run 70% water 30% antifreeze? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ok to run 70% water 30% antifreeze?

i was wondering if it would be ok to run a mix of 70% water and 30% antifreeze, since water cools better than antifreeze. my motors running a little hot and i thought id give this a shot. this much antifreeze is also good to about -18c* which is never seen where i live (coldest is like -10c). so would running this mix pose any problems or is it ok? will it run a little cooler? im also thinking of running some water wetter but well see how this works first...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

go for it if it does not work than change back
Old 07-26-2005, 07:38 PM

what im asking is if i will run into any problems with corrosion or boiling over. what about something as low as 15% or so or even no antifreeze as long as it doesnt freeze?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Very little advantage going under 50/50.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

I run 2-3 lt of antifreeze, 2 bottles of water wetter and the rest water. Works best for me this way. With electric fan the engine rarley see's 200 deg. Usually runs 180-190. I'm also running a 180 t-stat.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Very little advantage going under 50/50.
Right on. Actually, and I know I'm gonna catch flak for this one, the ratio at which maximum freeze/boil protection occurs is 67% antifreeze, 33% water. As ethlyene glcol won't boil, the heat absorbsion is quite good here. And there is enough watter to stop cold weather antifreeze gelling that can occur if there is too much antifreeze in the mix. After this %, the freeze protection actually diminishes. Well, not freeze, but it will turn into gel. Think of this, in the extreme heat of the desert, they run straight antifreeze, 100%, because of the heat absorbsion and the fact that it will not boil.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 PM

so what your saying is more antifreeze could make it run cooler? what is the exact ratio that the engine will run its coolest at? anybody know? and also, when does corrosion problems become a factor?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve karch
I run 2-3 lt of antifreeze, 2 bottles of water wetter and the rest water. Works best for me this way. With electric fan the engine rarley see's 200 deg. Usually runs 180-190. I'm also running a 180 t-stat.
I envy you , I always have cooling problems with mine and can never seem to solve it, even with dual electric fans.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

A high concentration of anti-freeze does not make it run any cooler, it just makes the boiling point of the coolant higher. I ran 70% anti-freeze & 30% water in my '72 Nova for several years with no problems. It ran 230* or better with the A/C on and only "boiled over" immediately after a hot shutdown, but a $5 add-on recovery system took care of that.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Water is best for heat dissipation, antifreeze provides lubricant as well as decreases freeze point and increases boiling point. If you are running a high engine temp, changing to a higher water/antifreeze ratio will help reduce temps by better heat dissipation. If you live in colder climates then you will have to adjust your ratio accordingly as ambient temp approaches freezing. Water Wetter enhances the water's heat dissipation esp at higher temps. With the ratio's I am using, my engine takes longer to warm up and temp tends not to fluctuate as much as when I have a 50/50 antifreeze/water ratio. Keep in mind that pressure also increases boiling point. If you have a weak rad cap then you will potentially boil over at a lower temp. If you can keep you engine under 200 deg then boiling over is not a concern
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

i just do not under stand why so many people have cooling problems...i had a 92 s10 with a built 427 big block...i had a nice alum radiator..a good water pump and dual fans..it never even in july got over 185 degrees...do you know what nuclur power plants use to cool the nucluaer rods....pure water..thats cause nothing on earth cools better than water....the anitfreeze is just that,,it keeps your motor from freezing and helps a little with boiling and fights against rust..try pure water with some water wetter to keep rust away and the pump lubed...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 PM

so if i ran almost pure water (water wetter bottle says use 15% minimum anti if its a street vehicle so thats probly what ill do) and the water wetter took care of the corrosion problem id be good to go? what about the boilover factor with using this little antifreeze?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

How hot is your engine running. Your going to have to hit at least 220 before a boil over and if your running that hot I think you have other problems to deal with. If you do as 347 and myself have done then boil over is a non issue.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347mustang
i just do not under stand why so many people have cooling problems...i had a 92 s10 with a built 427 big block...i had a nice alum radiator..a good water pump and dual fans..it never even in july got over 185 degrees...do you know what nuclur power plants use to cool the nucluaer rods....pure water..thats cause nothing on earth cools better than water....the anitfreeze is just that,,it keeps your motor from freezing and helps a little with boiling and fights against rust..try pure water with some water wetter to keep rust away and the pump lubed...
what he said...water is more efficent in carrying off heat, in a well designed , well maintained system.
water wetter is a great product...for the compalnies that make it. If you want to break the surface tension of the water, which will increase its heat transfer abilities, add 4 or 5 drops of liquid dish soap (old farmer trick)
Old 07-27-2005, 05:12 PM

anybody know what temperature a 15/85 mix of anti to water would actually boil at?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.