Ok torqued rod bolts todaydid what arp said to do Will I be safe? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok torqued rod bolts todaydid what arp said to do Will I be safe?

This is on a SBC 350 with scat capscrew 4340 rods.

Hello guys I posted a couple days ago about where I was using a bigger size torque wrench that only started at 40 foot pounds and to where I started on my first connecting rod and it called from scat to torque at 45 foor pounds but I was not able to get the torque wrench to click at 45 and I kept trying to tighten it but was going really slow and could not get it to click. So they was loosend up and retightend and still could not get it too cllick so a beam type torque wrench was used and it said around 45.

So today I brought my clicker torque wrench with me wich starts at 10 and goes to 80 foot pounds. Some kind guys on here pointed to arp website and said that torquing them more then a few times will not caue the rod bolt to stretch beyond its limit. Well how I did it today was I loosend the first set of rod bolts up wich had already been torqued twice already and torqed them in three steps to 45 with arp moly lube as stated by arp and scat.

On the rest wich had not been torqued yet but only snugged up to maybe 20 or so I went through all of them and snugged them with a ratchet two times wich made a total of three times total then I loosend them up and torqued them in three steps 25,35 then a final 45 and checked with my other torque wrench I have just to verify.

So after all of that do you guys think I will be safe and don't have to worry about throwing a rod bolt and loosing my engine? Thanks guys for help and support.
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

You should be fine Eric. But we gotta always remember anything is possible with a hotrod. Hope it all goes as planed for you. Didnt you say you were going to put a video on youtube . Cole
Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I am going to put a video on you tube once I got it installed and ready to start up for the first time. Hope things will go well too. Keeping fingers crossed. Time will tell. Putting on heads tomorrow and maybe the lifters and rocker arms as well just don't know how I am supposed to line up the guide plates with the rocker arm studs. I know they have to be aligned up buts thats all. Got cam and timing chain on today and will have top half by tomorrow evening.
Thanks for nice comments
Eric
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Yeah I am going to put a video on you tube once I got it installed and ready to start up for the first time. Hope things will go well too. Keeping fingers crossed. Time will tell. Putting on heads tomorrow and maybe the lifters and rocker arms as well just don't know how I am supposed to line up the guide plates with the rocker arm studs. I know they have to be aligned up buts thats all. Got cam and timing chain on today and will have top half by tomorrow evening.
Thanks for nice comments
Eric
What heads are you going to be running on your motor? Do you already have screw in studs in your heads? Cole
Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Yes I am using wolrd product sportsman 2 heads with screw in rocker arm studs with guide plates. They are setup with double springs for hydraullic roller cam that I am using. Here is what I am building. 350 sbc 9:1 750 edelbrock performer rpm performer intake Crane hydraullic roller cam 222/230 @50 with 512/528 lift with 1.5 summit full aluminum roller rockers. Hei with full advance by 3000 rpm. Speed pro flatop pistons with Scat cast steel crank and scat 4340 forged capscrew rods pressed fit. Block has been decked and everything checked and should have a good quench with the 72cc chamber world heads. It should be a nice replacement for the stock 350 vortec currently in my truck wich is on its last leg. It knocks during acceleration and you can hear the piston slap or rod bearing going out one of the two.
Eric
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Torquing them to the proper spec numerous times will not be a problem. The only thing I would worry about is if when you used your toque wrench the first time, which didn't click, is that you overtightened them....causing them to stretch.

I don't mean to alarm you, just letting you know of the possibilities. If you know for a fact you weren't reefing down hard trying to get the torque wrench to click (as in way past 45lbs), you should be ok. If your arm felt like you just arm-wrestled God after you were done......you might look into replacing them.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Hello digger well I know they where not over torqued cause I felt it being tight and was going slow I know 45 is not that much so i quit. My Dad then proceeded to try and did not move it but a hair.So a beam type torque wrench was taken out to use and it started to loosen at 42 pounds so they where left till the next day when I got my two torque wrenches. I loosend them up all the way and retorqued them down to 45 foot pounds with new arp moly lube. I tightend the rest by snugging them then loosening them two times then torqued them too 25,35 then 45 and went back over them with my other torque wrench to check and they all where fine. So I should be fine.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.