Is this a okay way to YOU to prepare NEW panels?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Long term storage preparation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Is this a okay way to YOU to prepare NEW panels??

Hello all, I got a brand new fender for my truck, and I painted the sensitive parts of it with POR. I was then thinking of getting emoxy primer and praying it on over the POR. I figure this will be fine,as im not totally depending on the POR for protection. Anbody elese support this??

Jerry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 07:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You should have just applied the epoxy to it. I don't know if the epoxy will stick to the other stuff. I understand that it takes some special coating on that, not regular paint. The epoxy would have provided as much protection as you should need, once it is top coated. If it is on the underside, it wouldn't even need top coating.

Aaron
Old 10-01-2006, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I would of personally just epoxied it. Epoxy doesn't seem to stick to the rust convertors, I never used por personally, as well as it does to metal. Being it is a brand new fender there would be no reason to use a rust convertor product anyways. I am not a big fan of them as many others, although have used them in inner panels in the past that were hard to blast easily. Most people prepare new panels by epoxy priming or using an undercoating such as 3m body schultz on insides of panels. But whats done as done, I think I would personally sand it down aways on areas you can and apply epoxy or a good undercoat product over it. As far as I understand, most rust convertors you should have a slightly rusty surface that you are applying it over, not sure on the por 15. Ohh by the way, howdy neighbor Welcome to hotrodders.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

POR-15 is not a rust converter. It merely adheres well to rust, and forms a moisture barrier to greatly reduce the progress of corrosion.

If you want to recoat POR-15, you must do it within a narrow window, or it must be sanded, for which you need to wait a couple days. Or, you can buy TIECOAT, made by POR-15 for this purpose.

I don't think you need to recoat it, and if you did, undercoating would be a more sensible material to use, IMHO. I hope you sanded your new fender before you applied the POR-15. It likes rough surfaces, not smooth shiny ones.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Long term storage preparation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I knew that it was not a rust converter, I was just waiting for someone to correct the other guys! Yes I did lightly sand the fender with some 120. It said on the can that it needed tooth to adhere. It seems to have stuck on and hardend well. I will have to check out this tie coat.

Jerry
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

If you sand the POR with some 180 grit the epoxy will stick without the tie coat. I'm not a big fan of POR but do use it occasionally on interior areas where cleaning off corrosion would be almost impossible. Inside quarters, up under dashes, inside roof bracing, inside cowl areas. I wouldn't use the stuff on exterior areas-much better to remove the corrosion on cleanable areas and coat with a high quality epoxy as the base. Internal areas that do get POR then get treated with a cavity wax type moisture proof coating.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.