The old 409 and other nestalgia! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
And by the way Jester, if you intended for this to be an all W motor thread sorry about the Stovebolt I thought you wanted general fun drag racing too.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

On the dyno.

Another 409 equipped 55 Chevy.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

409/425

When I got out of the service, I went car shopping, went to the local Chev. dealer and they had just taken in a Chev. S/S 409/425 with a 4 speed. I was all over that car. The car was fast but it liked it's gas, 4 MPG on the highway.

I would race a guy with a Plymouth wedge car, I don't know how many times we raced but I would EEK out a win every time. That was one fast and fun car, but I had to trade it in for a new 68 charger "HEMI", that one would go a little also.

Bob
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
And by the way Jester, if you intended for this to be an all W motor thread sorry about the Stovebolt I thought you wanted general fun drag racing too.

Brian
This thread is for all Nostalgia stories, Im a Mopar, Ford & Chevy ETC guy You can make em all run and years ago they all ran good, during the HP wars take the AMC REBEL LOL I love the 426 max wedge I ran a max wedge in a 64 Chevelle LOL And would put one in my Vette If I found a good deal on one LOL I ran the stove bolts in "J" Gas class GREAT ENGINES!!!!! AND PURDY! when dressed up!!! I ran a RED RAM in the 57 Ford before I found the 406 It was a real street sleeper!! It looked like a piece of junk till you opened the engine compartment or I uncaped the dumps LOL

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 03-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Great stuff guys, Jester, great story there! I didn't do anything like that, running my 235. But it was my dream and I loved it. I didn't make the intake my brother and his friend did (the previous owner) but I made the headers (the new white ones) from cut up headers I got from a friends 340 Duster.

Wish I had some photos of it at Fremont Dragstrip with the six, got a few of it later with the 401 Buick but nothing with the six darn it.

I remember going one time and they booted me at tech because the front tires were to worn. I wasn't going to let that $8 entry to go waste and I drove it all the way home (about 10 miles) and put on a pair of black steel wheels and tires off my 64 Nova and went back to race. I really burned up the track with a best of 16:42 at 85 mph.

My Dad ran his car there! It was a great place to grow up!

Brian

That is great fab work I love to see that kind of thing! Even today people can do that but don't! Years ago (50s) my dad was at Chrysler's Desoto R&D and Test track and that's exactly the way they fabbed & tested intakes and exhaust before designing and casting and they were crushed after! he snuck a couple of intakes out and they were so cool some were just flanges & plenum boxes with hoses clamped to em in different lengths others were welded tubes, just like we did in our home garages LOL I used a couple on my Red Ram! I lived blocks away from Detroit Dragway when a boy and could smell the rubber and fuel in my back yard when the wind blew the right way and the sound you could feel in your chest!

The Green Monster went off the end of Detroit Drag way and crashed.They just left it damaged in the field and it layed there in a pile for many years. We crossed the fields and actually touched it when it was still hot after the crash!! That was cool! Hell it may still be there LOL

Jester
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Awesome stuff, I wonder what those intakes he brought home would be worth today? You could probably buy my truck with the one!

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Has anyone priced a survivor 409 for a swap into a street rod? It appears that cost combined with the popularity with the baby boomers has created a market niche.

A tad bit more power, 509 hp @ 5200 and 525 lb/ft @ 4000, so it keeps the grunt factor at the lower rpm band just like the real 409.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

My friend has over 20 409's and one he made into full blown 509. he also has 2 63 impala's with 409's.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Here's mine...my folks ordered it brand new. It's just a 409/340HP with a glide and 66,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image1.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	72579  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Awesome stuff, I wonder what those intakes he brought home would be worth today? You could probably buy my truck with the one!

Brian
Brian:
I wish I held on to those! Just to put on a shelf in my living room LOL! They were sold or traded and given to friends who wanted them over the years, Who new what things we had years ago would be wanted today? Too bad we didn't have the patience to hang on to the things we took as valueless gathering dust on the garage floor then My Dad built a 273 with home made intakes and the carbs on the exhaust ports and exhaust out the intake ports and put it in a Dodge dart it looked cool but didn't perform that well he got burned out on it (frustrated) and he traded it off

If it wasn't for my Dad getting me involved as a small child I would have probably never got into the car culture, and missed the best part of my life experiences The son or daughter of a Mechanic that only sees their father who busts his but ,grease under the nails and busted knuckles usually hates the trade but the child that grows up involved with seeing the worst along with the best of it seeing race & drag , in the pits, car shows the gear banging and whining street racing and cruising, aspect grows up loving it!!!!! I was a very lucky boy

Jester

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.