Hot Rod Forum banner

An old 64 scout

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Good Frosty 
#1 ·
I have a 29 Model A Im working on. Also in the back yard is an old 64 scout with a 348 and 4-speed. I was wondering if before I remove the old project from the yard if anything on the scout (i.e. engine, trans, rearend) will work for my new project. Also if the motor can be used were can I get parts to rebuild it. Thanks

#3 ·
Is the 348 a Chevy or is it an International? If it is an International it was designed to be used in school buses and although it has a tremendous amount of bottom end torque it does not have a lot of horsepower. You could modify it but the cost would be out of line with other engines. BUT if you used it you would probably be the only one around with that engine in a Model A!!!

For parts try here:

http://www.scoutparts.com/

#4 ·
Thanks for the help

Thanks guys. The body is in bad shape but everything else seems to be good. I would hate to get rid of something that could be used for another project. Besides the engine everything else should work too right? Thanks for the website info. Do you know of any place that sells engine rebuild kit for the international motors?

#6 ·
I have a late 60's...early 70's International dumptruck. There is no rearend and the body is pretty shot. But could this engine also be a 348? It is a gas engine, since I don't know of any diesels to have spark-plug wires...

It has been sitting for pretty long time. Would the trans (automatic) be too big or would it be like a scouts also?

-GF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.