Old Aire Hurricane Heat/AC Unit: Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old Aire Hurricane Heat/AC Unit: Question

Anyone here have an Old Aire Hurricane unit installed in their vehicle?

If so, have you had a problem with the blower fan rapping against the housing?

I installed mine 2 years ago and just a week or so ago, the blower fan started tapping against the housing. I know how and where to open the unit up to get to the blower fan, but what then?

Is there a bushing or a clip or something to play with? Obviously the blower fan has shifted, but how do I determine the proper fix?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I just installed one in my '53 so lets us know what you find when you split the case! My guess is that the way they assemble that stuff nowadays w/ plastic clips, one has broken or vibrated lose and will be easy to fix.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Fan

Doc here,

Alan...

Hi good to be back,

First, I'd look for something foreign that has fallen into the duct work and found it's way to the fan~well like leaves, old business cards, or French fry wrappers....

like a kid's bicycle with playing cards in the spokes..clip..clip...clip...(Jeeze..Do they still do that? or equip them now for urban assault?) I guess I''m Dating myself here..(tough job but somebody has to do it... )

Another thing to check, Is the motor mount...It may be on like 3 rubber "Shock" mounts..like a windshield wiper motor...and one or more has gone south fur the winter...allowing the motor mount to sag...and hit the duct.

Short of that, the fan motor Should have a bearing on the end bell of the motor or on both end bells.

These usually wear out and allow the armature to "slide forth and back" in the motor case. Newer ones went to like copper or plastic bushes, not sure if yours is a bush type or bearing.

If You can reach in there, see if you can move the fan blade/squirrel case in and out, You most likely have worn bearings/bushes...

OR...If your REAL lucky...The Fan/Squirrel Cage has just slipped on the shaft allowing it to hit the duct work.

If it turns out to be a bearing, and you can't find one locally, Try King Bearing , In Cordellia California....If they Ain't Got it...The'll Make it!

Another little trick I learned years ago, with any Electric motor bearings when replacing them, (starters, alternators, any type motor you can reasonably do this on) before you install the bearings , take a small SHARP punch, and carefully punch a "Dimple" once each 3 rd of the way around in Each end bell race...Their a tiny bit harder to reassemble the motor, But the bearings will NEVER spin or move in the race!

Let us know what ya find!

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 03-18-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

willys36 -- The clips on mine are metal ... and it's gonna be a real pain in the butt to get down there on the "ol' hump" and do the under-the-dash-again-twisting-my-spine-into-a-pretzel routine!

But I'll be back to report the experience.

Doc -- You da MAN!!! You know, I never thought about something falling into the duct work! Especially likely, of course, are the defrost ducts ... and if THAT'S the case, this will be an easier fix than I thought. THANKS, bro'.

The baseball cards in the bike spokes was a trip ... until I discovered balloons!!! Did you do balloons in your spokes? WOW! 4 balloons; one on each side of the forks, front and back, and you'd think a freaking Harley was comin' down the road! Honestly -- every Summer I wonder why that tradition hasn't entered the psyche of kids today. Shhhh! Don't tell 'em.

I'm thinking it isn't the motor mounts. It sounds like the edges of the fan tapping ... and when I make a left-hand turn it's louder than a right-hand turn. Also, if I put the fan on high, it's less likely to make any noise at all -- that's what was confusing me in the first place, like "Is the fan moving/shifting on it's post?

Quote:
Short of that, the fan motor Should have a bearing on the end bell of the motor or on both end bells.

These usually wear out and allow the armature to "slide forth and back" in the motor case. Newer ones went to like copper or plastic bushes, not sure if yours is a bush type or bearing.

If You can reach in there, see if you can move the fan blade/squirrel case in and out, You most likely have worn bearings/bushes...
You're onto something there, Doc. I hope it doesn't go that route though.

Thanks.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Well ... I fixed it today.

It appears the shaft that holds the fan, or maybe just the plastic fan itself, warped -- the fan was wobbling -- just slightly. It had a metal compression spring-clip on the end of the fan, clamping it to the metal shaft ... it was fairly easy to remove the clip, move the fan out about 1/16" and replace the clamp ... which stopped the scraping noise.

The difficult thing was removing the cover to the fan. It was a bit of a bear ... plus I had to remove my glovebox to get to everything. But all-in-all, a totally successful project, considering I accomplished everything in about an hour!

Jeeze!!! When does THAT ever happen, eh?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Warp Speed Mr Crusher....

Doc here,

Alan,

Hey! Thanks for the Follow~up!

Glad to hear that it was not a major Bad....

And easy to fix!

Peace Returns to the Gamma Quadrant..

Doc
Old 04-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

LOL! Thanks, Doc!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.