Old Craftsman Impact Wrench - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old Craftsman Impact Wrench

I have an ancient Craftsman Impact Wrench that I want to try to use. My dad was a mechanic who passed away in 1989 and this air tool has not been used since 1988. It is a model 756.18830 rated at 20-175 Ft-Lbs. I estimate that my dad probably had it for 20 years prior to his passing. Before I try to use it I want to lubricate it but haven't a clue as to how this is done. Attached are a couple of pics...................any advice besides lubrication before I try to crank it up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0015resize.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	28934   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0017resize.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	28935  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Position it with the air connection pointing straight up and put some air tool oil in it. Let it sit for a few hours then add some more and put some air on it. Don't run it too much at first just blow some of the oil around in it then oil it again.
I don't know if they still offer it or not but you may be able to buy a rebuild kit for it, I have rebuilt small grinders before and extended the life of the tool.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Some impact wrenches also have a Allen screw on the side that is an oil port for something. Not sure if your has that though.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Some impact wrenches also have a Allen screw on the side that is an oil port for something. Not sure if your has that though.
it does have an allen plug on the bottom of the handle.............
Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Dragon
Position it with the air connection pointing straight up and put some air tool oil in it. Let it sit for a few hours then add some more and put some air on it. Don't run it too much at first just blow some of the oil around in it then oil it again.
I don't know if they still offer it or not but you may be able to buy a rebuild kit for it, I have rebuilt small grinders before and extended the life of the tool.
how much is a little........10 drops?..............what if I put too much in?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

And some impacts also have a small, spring-loaded check ball orifice, up near the anvil, where a special grease should be inserted occasionally. It's quite possible that this gun was made by one of the major air tool manufacturers too, which would increase your odds of finding parts for it, if or when they're needed.
I'm sure your father would appreciate your concern for a tool which no doubt served him well and made him a lot of money, too. I'm an older mechanic myself and have tools that belonged to my grandfather who was a master mechanic (among other skills) from the 1920s until he passed away in the mid 60s. I also have many other vintage tools, as well as tools I've owned and used for many or all of the over 35 years that I've been doing this stuff. It's probably silly, but there are just certain tools that feel right and that I prefer to use, in spite of their age. Whenever I move on to the next plane of existence, my kids and grandkids will probably wonder who in the hell would ever need so many tools (and other junk) as they're sorting through my personal treasures.
It's true, I'm a pack-rat who seldom gets rid of anything!

If you put too much oil in, it'll just blow out the excess during use. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Notorius.............we are on the same page. I have all of my dad's hand tools from his work days...........I also have my own but when I have been stuck looking for a tool I look in my dad's chest and sure enough.......what I needed was there..............these tools, while well used and worn look like junk to most but are a cherished treasure to me. I have some of his air tools that have been in the basement and haven't had use for them until now so I would rather put some money and effort into reconditioning the tools my dad used, rather than to buy new. I watched my dad work on cars and the fact that I can use the same tools he used to work on cars of the day makes my dad smile.................my car is a '64 Tempest.............my dad worked for GM all his life.........and no doubt worked on one of these..........
Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious
If you put too much oil in, it'll just blow out the excess during use. Nothing to worry about.
I would load it up then just blow out the extra. After that put 3 drops of oil in the first time you use it each day. 10 drops should be good enough to let it soak, then just blow it out. Wrap a shop rag around the bottom and you wont get it all over your hand.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
boatbob2

air tools.......

Hi,as was mentioned in other posts,put the air hose connector pointed up,squeeze the trigger,go to NAPA and buy a bottle of air tool oil(it flows well) fill the tool up until it overflows,and wont take any more oil,let the trigger go,let it set overnite,do it again the next day,,wrap a rag around the air outlet,hook up the air and squeeze the trigger. should work ok, i oil my air tools about every 15 minutes when using,and again before i put them away. .
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Mr 1984

The biggest killer to air tools is moisture in the air supply. Always run a good filter and water separator. I know some who have an oiler installed on the air system but if you do any painting, you don't want one....
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
boldventure

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzz
I have an ancient Craftsman Impact Wrench that I want to try to use. My dad was a mechanic who passed away in 1989 and this air tool has not been used since 1988. It is a model 756.18830 rated at 20-175 Ft-Lbs. I estimate that my dad probably had it for 20 years prior to his passing. Before I try to use it I want to lubricate it but haven't a clue as to how this is done. Attached are a couple of pics...................any advice besides lubrication before I try to crank it up?

I know your post was a while ago, hope you see this post. I re-started cleaning up my Dad's tools again a couple of days ago. I have a Craftsman 756.18880 (yours is 756.18830). It was all seized up hard rust inside. Got it all apart, ready to clean it up. Hope I can get it back together, it's in pretty good shape for being outside for several years. Did you get yours fixed?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.