old engine with downdraft tube question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

old engine with downdraft tube question

I just bought a car with a 1960 390 ci caddy motor. It has no PCV valve ,just breaths in thru the tube where U put the oil in and a downdraft tube. This motor has an old finned alluminum valley pan with a 90 degree fitting coming out with a piece of rubber hose for the downdraft tube. Instead of just fumes coming out of the hose,its spraying oil. should there be some kind of baffle where it comes out of the valley pan? If so--any sugestions as to how I could make,or buy one?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yragat
I just bought a car with a 1960 390 ci caddy motor. It has no PCV valve ,just breaths in thru the tube where U put the oil in and a downdraft tube. This motor has an old finned alluminum valley pan with a 90 degree fitting coming out with a piece of rubber hose for the downdraft tube. Instead of just fumes coming out of the hose,its spraying oil. should there be some kind of baffle where it comes out of the valley pan? If so--any sugestions as to how I could make,or buy one?
thanks

It always takes some device to capture, condense and return oil that is flowing as mist with the crankcase vapors. A common design used by the factories that vent from the valley cover looks like a simple can with either sheet-metal baffles or stuffed with brass wool. This could be easily duplicated with a tin can that is drilled to fasten at the fitting, with the far end open, some drain holes drilled in the bottom, and some brass wool stuffed into it.

Bogie
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

I don't quite understand how I could do that---the T fitting only sticks up far enough to get the hose on,and if I would get a higher T how would I hook the hose to it?---Maybe U could draw me a picture,or something---I really want to do something with it ---it has good oil pressure and runs great,but I oil everyone behind me and when I park there is always a little puddle of oil. Wonder if something is available on the market?

Sorry,I said it was a T fitting coming out of the valley pan---its an elbow

Last edited by yragat; 09-09-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't quite understand how I could do that---the T fitting only sticks up far enough to get the hose on,and if I would get a higher T how would I hook the hose to it?---Maybe U could draw me a picture,or something---I really want to do something with it ---it has good oil pressure and runs great,but I oil everyone behind me and when I park there is always a little puddle of oil. Wonder if something is available on the market?
Goes inside the valley cover so it's positioned on the bottom of the cover but between and clear of the pushrods. A cast cover with fins is not original, so you have to mess around a bit. Not uncommon with hot rod parts that often are missing "little" details. The fitting should have enough threads to catch the can, then just screw a like nut often can be found as what's called a bulkhead nut for fittings to hold the can in place.

The can gives the mist a place to slow down, this will let the oil droplets condense on the brass wool. From there they will dribble down by the force of gravity. A couple holes in the length that is now the bottom of the can will let the oil dribble out. Leaving some of the top of the cam like open half and bending it over will provide a mist intake on the open top and a brass wool retainer on the unopened bottom. Use brass will as it is soft and if any breaks off inside the engine it will not cause damage if it circulates with the oil.

Bogie
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Do U think it would work if I come out of the valley pan with a straight nipple an make some kind of baffle to screw onto it then come off with an elbow & hose? I don't really want to take the valley pan off.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

?????-?????
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

This is what they looked like on the old style chevy small block engine. The baffle trapped the oil. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=48024&stc=1
Attached Images
File Type: bmp old style baffel.bmp (1.37 MB, 424 views)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
?????-?????

It could be. competition engines frequently place a catch can/puke tank somewhere inside the engne compartment. This can be a simple can with a hose in and another out. The can would be baffled, think of the inside of a muffler idea except the inlet and outlet would be next to each other on the top with divider between them than forces the vapors to make a sharp turn from one side to the other which throws the oil droplets out of suspension allowing them to collect on the bottom for periodic drainage. The can could also be stuffed with stainless steel or brass wool to help catch and separate the oil from the vapor.

These things can also be purchased at the hot rod store. Something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1505/ You can remove the breather filter, drop a hose under the car and use it as draft tube.

Bogie
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

I feel silly but I am glad you posted that pic. I saw one of those on my 327 motor and wondered what it was for. I figured something like that though.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
It could be. competition engines frequently place a catch can/puke tank somewhere inside the engne compartment. This can be a simple can with a hose in and another out. The can would be baffled, think of the inside of a muffler idea except the inlet and outlet would be next to each other on the top with divider between them than forces the vapors to make a sharp turn from one side to the other which throws the oil droplets out of suspension allowing them to collect on the bottom for periodic drainage. The can could also be stuffed with stainless steel or brass wool to help catch and separate the oil from the vapor.

These things can also be purchased at the hot rod store. Something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1505/ You can remove the breather filter, drop a hose under the car and use it as draft tube.

Bogie
Thanks,Bogie
That might just be the ticket!
Got ant advice as to what I can do to stop oil from coming out of the breather cap on the oil-fill tube?
Not much comes out,but with a hoodless car it gets on the windshield
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Google search oil separator.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.