Hot Rod Forum banner

Old Guy Section

16K views 193 replies 55 participants last post by  ChevyTruckGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was looking around and I did not find a old guy section! I was shock, how could this happen. Don't you think we should have are own section? :smash:

Craig

#4 ·
HemmiGremmie said:
You guys would just have an alzheimers episode and forghet it was there. Hg :D
Good one.................. :D

I think that there should be a young guy section.............that's where all the dumb questions could go...............

Hey..............it's a joke....Lighten up. :D :D

#8 ·
steve t said:
... had to go to outhouse to take a dump...
And it was a five mile walk...up hill...both ways.

I'm all for this old guy section but dang ChevyTruckGuy, your're just a snot nosed kid. REAL old guys are over 60 and get obnoxiously cranky when somebody tries to butt onto their old guy section.

Sincerely,
Dew...Dewe...aw heck, I can't remember the rest of it!

#9 ·
Ogs

cboy, don't worry about being forgetful. We can remember and they never knew. I grandson was bragging about 17 and larger wheels the other day. I hated to tell but ford had them back in the 20 and 30 on the model A and B's 16 I think on the early v8, 17's, 19, and 21's. only they were not as wide still cost a week's pay tho.

#10 ·
If we had an old guy section there wouln't be anyone in the other forums to teach all the young squirts what a carburator is.

#15 ·
Yea, I lived on the farm when I was a snot nose kid. I to went to the same outhouse still got the splinters in my Butt to prove it, remember setting around the stove drinking coffee with grand dad because it was the only heat in the house and having 3" of blanket on the bed to stay warm.
Yea so Its true. But its still fun, some thing the younger guys can't say.

Well maybe it would go some thing like this.
Yea I can remember when we road to school on a heated bus it was such a pain and doing you home work on a computer took for ever we only had Toys R us and the mall to hang out at. we had the internet, chat, im's.cell phones,Ipods, xboxs, and man I tell you we were so bored with not a thing to do, and cable tv only had like 225 channels with nothing to watch. my life really sucks. my mom and dad wont let us hang out past ten. I got to take a shower ever night and brush my teeth. and we only get like 300.00 for school clothes. My mom and dad gave me a car to drive to school. it was only a 95 but hey it did'nt cost me anything.

So you young guy I really feel for ya I really do :spank:

Craig

#17 ·
When I was young, the highschool only had apple computers, and there was no internet. If I wanted to learn how to do something or wanted to order something, I would have to go to the library or order from magazines. If I wanted to call a friend I had to use a rotary dial phone. Cable tv eventually came out, but we couldn't get it in the country. But days were spent outside, trying to find something to do, riding dirtbikes and go carts, playing football or baseball with friend, cruising around town when got a license instead of sitting in front of a computer screen. I had to ride a school bus till I could drive, and had to walk a mile home from where it dropped us off. My mom could smack me on the arse with a wooden spoon and not have to worry about child protective services coming over and knocking on the door.

#18 ·
kenseth17 said:
you guys get Medicare, Medicaid, and social security and still had pensions which won't be around when I get to be your age. You were old enough to drive when muscle cars came out and gas was affordable, now you want your own dang section. :rolleyes: :D
:D

This is the old timers forum: www.hotrodders.com

If you want crabby old farts go to www.jalopyjournal.com :p

&
I don't know what the Ricers do & dont wanna! ;)

I may not get disability but my trucks should LOL

Im too young to be this old :rolleyes:

R :thumbup:

#20 ·
Apple computer heck all I ever got was apple slice and a Abacus. Internet is that a new high way or something. I never got the paddle at school, But when you see a kid getting his back side beat make a beliver out of you that the teacher is not going to take any crap.
WOW flash back. In the 60- 70 some of my teacher in Calif were doing drug free love. One teacher was doing he master on the mating rituals of men and women I guess him and he wife would get people to participate and he took notes. I had a history teacher the went to Iran and was offer some candy and for some reason he lost three day only to find out it had natural herbs in it. LOL, I don't remember working very hard for that diploma. Being I was a jock of sorts I did Gymnastic you no the guy doing flips in tights doing the splits hands all the stuff. So now days the only thing that splits is my pants and the crack of my well it a plumbers thing. I'm still flexible you should see me try to tie my shoes. But it all good at least I think it is.but let me get back to ya on that one as soon as I can remember where I left it.

Craig

#22 ·
When I was young, the highschool only had apple computers, and there was no internet
Damn near blew coffee out of my nose on that one :D

When I was growing up our color TV consisted of a piece of plastic that was taped over the screen. Blue, green & red. Whoever came up with that idea made quite a bit of money for something stupid. Then we got a nrw TV that was a 21" portable B&W. Oh yea...we are in the future now :thumbup: No computers and no calculators. When th efirst calculator came out it was so high priced that no one could afford one that had a regular job. If I remember right it was a Texas Instrument for around $300. Add, subtract, multiply and divide. Owning one of them placed you at one step below genius level.
A good day of playing consisted of a large field and woods, play guns, choose up sides, and go at it all day long. Either Cowboys and Indians, or Army. Although Army was our game of play. Cooler weapons and you could toss grenades. WhooHoo. YOUR DEAD!! Disputes among friends were usually settled with a fist fight either behind a barn, behind the school on a Saturday, or in an alley during the school week. Saturday afternoons were spent talking about the fight, apologizing, then some backyard football. Sundays were usually a neighborhood baseball game. It didn't matter how many was on a team as long as there were an even amount on each side. Summer nights were reserved for neighborhood Hide & Seek. People did not care if you ran thru their yard as everyone knew everyone, and if you got out of line with another adult, there would be hell to pay once you hit the house. Never really got grounded but a good butt whippin' was in order along with going back to the party that you mouthed off to and apologizing. There were no lawsuits, no locked doors, no thievery, no real pressures at all like there is today. People did not talk about money worries, medical worries, or any of the things that dominate our daily conversations today. If as a kid you needed money, you asked your parents if you could borrow the lawnmower for awhile. Then you got to use it only after your own yard was mowed. Youwould go from door to door asking if the people wanted their yard mowed. Some would let you do it even though it may have been mowed just a couple of days before. Shoveling snow was the same thing....door to door. And you had to get up before daylight just to beat the other kids out to get the most business. I think every kid should have th eopportunity to grow up in tough times like that. They would have a totally different outlook on things today. I just wish I had one tenth of the energy today that I had back then also :D I think in th esummer time most kids got by on 1-2 hours of sleep a night and was right back at it for the next day. Now, work is work, small pains never go away, pressures run high, and we still only get 1-2 hours sleep at any given time. :smash:

#23 ·
steve t said:
you guys can make fun, but its the truth
Guess I was spoiled we had a 2 Holer with a block foundation (Grandad got tired of setting it back up every November 1st), toilet seats with lids, a little thing to hold your flashlight, a vent and a catalog shelf in case somebody forgot to stock up on TP, no cob bucket though and we didn't have a wood burner we had fuel oil heaters in the kitchen, living room and cellar. We did have city water though and we finally got an indoor toilet when I was about 7. The old well and pump were still there and functional and when the water main would break we were the only ones in the neighborhood with water. We had it pretty good I guess.

#24 ·
The first house I lived in was on the end of a 1/2 mile dead end road smack in the middle of a section of land. Yes, we had the outhouse and a thunder bucket. A thunder bucket is the bucket used in the middle of the night to avoid dark trips to the outhouse. We had baths in a tin tub on the porch in the summer and beside the stove in the winter. We had an oil stove in the living room for heat. All water came from an outside hand pump including all the water for the livestock. It was a very big job to water all the cattle, chickens and hundreds of thirsty pigs.

Still, I am NOT an old guy. :D

#25 ·
My Dad was a farmer in Texas when I was born,, The ole country Dr came to the house to help deliver me,, I never had a birth certificate untill I had to get one when I retired in 2000, [ I didn't even know what county I was born in ,I had a hell of a time finding all the infromation,,] We moved to New Mexico in 1942 when I was 2 yrs old,, I remember seeing some old pictures of my dog TED riding all that way [ maybe 800 miles] on the fuel tanks of the simi truck , we also had the out house down by the irragation ditch,, out past the garden,, sears catalog for wipe,, had to crumple it up good to make it softer ,,, I seem to remember that I was scared to use the toilet, because I had seen spiders crawl out of that hole that looked big as crabs,, not sure they wern't crabs :D
School was a mile up the road, usually joined up with my buddys and classmates that lived further down the road, lots of times we would get chased home by a bunch of mexicans kids,, untill my dad caught me running from them and put me in the car and caught up to the mexicans and stopped and picked out the biggest one and made me fight him while he kept the rest from interfearing,, I whipped his butt, and after that they left us alone, I felt like the **** of the walk after that, but there is always someone badder, and I managed to find several of thise guys along the way in life,,
My Dad Bought a Chev / Olds dealership when I was about 10 or 12,, and my saturdays turned into having to go clean up what few used cars that were on the lot and then when I was done, I got a dollar,, and was filthy rich for a little while, went to the 10 cent movies to watch roy rogers or gene autry catch the cattle russlers and the bad guys,,and had a bag of popcorn and a little bottle of coke, and still had 50 or 60 cents left over,, our first phone was on a party line and when it rang you had to listen to how many rings it made before you answered it because it might be for someone else,, I use to listen in on a girl that was on the line,, giggling and talking about boys,, and then tell every body in school the next day,, :nono: :D
I helped my dad build our house when I was 13 , out of cender blocks,, I still have a scar on my wrist where I dropped one and it took all the hide off,, he bandaged it up and we kept working,, I left there in 1956 to join the navy, and see the world,, from the bowels of a aircraft carrier,,

#26 ·
Wow, Is wild how much us old guy have in common. I grew up in a small town in southern Idaho down buy the snake river and not to far from where Evil jump the snake river in his rocket think and some of my family set on there back porch of there farms and watch the whole 10 sec deal. My dad had a farm then we movied in to town and he worked as a union carpenter in the summer and for kraft food in the winter. We lived in a rental apartment. then bought a mobile home. my mom work for a potato process plant.
I spent most of my time play at my aunt and uncle farm or with my grand parents on there farm. Then when I was in 3th grade my day got a break on a job one day and met this self made guy that on the same job was building the first automated dairy. Took a liking to my dad. and he be came a millwright. then a project manager. So from 1965 to 69 we traveled all over the country from construction job to job, do the first automated up grade to the post office process center for bulk mail. finally In 69 my was moved to the Office and made Senior estimator In Southern California. First home in the suburbs. I was now a city Kid. One hour to the beach and a hour and a half to the mountains. Years later I ended up being a millwright doing the same thing.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.