Hot Rod Forum banner

old hemi's any good?

24K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if the old hemi's like the 270 Red Ram and the 331s equal the 426 hemis? First of all I understand the cubic inch difference, I mean are they "ahead" of other engines of equal cubic inch? With the same basic design I would say yes but I want to hear from people who work/run them. What is the interchangeability of parts(rods,cranks,heads,blocks and so on)with the small block hemis? I know the 426 and 392 are in their own class, just want to know about the small blocks.
Basically, where do I go to learn about these? Where do I get rebuild parts? How to identify the difference between a 270 or 331. How to identify if it is a 270 or 331. Hell I'm probably wrong on the cubic inch!! Need/want to learn! Give me your favorite sites to visit. Thank you!!

#28 ·
I was gonna build a Hemi for the Gremlin, but decided weight n size was to much for it.
I do have howerever a complete article lots of pages with Hemi info if anyone is interested in it.
I can make copies and send em to ya. Lots of good articles, buildups, tips, ect... Might take a little time but its way cool. Hg

#30 ·
I'm just finishing up my Hemi buildup (392) for my street rod project and getting ready to start it up for the first time.

They are expensive to build, but worth it. You could probably build at least two or maybe three small block belly-buttons for the cost of a Hemi. But you will have a Hemi!

I've always been a fan of the engine since the days when they were the ticket for gassers and fuel dragsters, and I never thought of putting any other kind of engine in my street rod ('41 Willys).

If I get the chance I'm going to build another one, this time a 331 or 354, both have a lot of potential.

They are also very easy to build. Straight forward and well thought out fifties engineering and quality. You can't get a more builder-friendly engine.

Steve

#32 ·
old hemi

I found 2 354's in NY and tried to buy them. They were still in the cars that were a mans collection of 50 years of STUFF. He had some really neat cars I wanted to buy, the old guy had died and his son had control of everything. I kept calling trying to work out something on the cars, but in the end he sold everything to a junk man to clean up the place. I tried to get him to tell me who he let have the stuff, but he would budge. It's sort-of like he didn't want me to have any of it. It seems to work out that way when you let someone know you want something really bad.
T

#34 · (Edited)
Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the Engine Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

Many of the links mentioned in this thread were already included in the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, and the remainder have been added. To search the Knowledge Base for the keyword "hemi", use this link: hemi.

Additionally, from the information in this thread, 3 Hemi-related links from GeezerGassers.com and ClassicHemi.com have been added to the Mopar Engine Technical Data category, 2 Hemi-related discussions from ClubHotrod.com and StreetMachinesofTableRock.com have been added to the Engine Discussions category, 3 Hemi-related articles from ImperialClub.com and Hemi.com.au have been added to the Engine Articles category, 1 Hemi-related parts source (Hemi.com.au) has been added to the Engine Parts and Materials category, and 1 Hemi-related website (Hemi.com) has been added to the Engine Websites category.

Thanks 56Maynard, Centerline, techinspector1, and willys36 for posting links :).

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

#37 ·
AC/DC said:
I was just wondering if the old hemi's like the 270 Red Ram and the 331s equal the 426 hemis? First of all I understand the cubic inch difference, I mean are they "ahead" of other engines of equal cubic inch? With the same basic design I would say yes but I want to hear from people who work/run them. What is the interchangeability of parts(rods,cranks,heads,blocks and so on)with the small block hemis? I know the 426 and 392 are in their own class, just want to know about the small blocks.
Basically, where do I go to learn about these? Where do I get rebuild parts? How to identify the difference between a 270 or 331. How to identify if it is a 270 or 331. Hell I'm probably wrong on the cubic inch!! Need/want to learn! Give me your favorite sites to visit. Thank you!!
Actually the old 354 and 392 hemis can produce plenty of power.They have been used and still are for drag boats and cars.i Imagine the 270 and 331 can be bored a little bigger and done up similar. Look up hemiweb catalog , you will be amased at what they have for the early hemmis
Brad

#38 · (Edited)
Mopar Brad said:
Actually the old 354 and 392 hemis can produce plenty of power.They have been used and still are for drag boats and cars.i Imagine the 270 and 331 can be bored a little bigger and done up similar. Look up hemiweb catalog , you will be amased at what they have for the early hemmis
Brad
This thread is 5 YEARS OLD for crying out loud and I think his question has been answered several times over by some very experienced hemi guys. Also there is no such thing as a hemiweb catalog. And.....Hemiweb.com is NOT A HEMI WEB SITE. Its some crappy picture hosting site.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.