Old Isky Cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Old Isky Cam

Hello everyone, I'm new here and getting back into building. My first passion with cars has always been under hood, anyway, my question for you guys. Mt last street car I built was in about 90-91 and it was a 70 Nova. I had a flat top 350 with 461 2.02-1.60 heads ported very much on both sides, flat tops, bottem end was a simple moroso windage tray with 6 quart pan, the usual good machine work on crank, rods @ rod bolts ect. I was running a torker 2 intake with a 750 AFB carb and a Mallory mechanical advance distributor, now to my question. I was running a Isky Z-30 cam, solid, 480 lift, 250 @ 050 and 280 total and this thing ran like a striped *** ape, it pulled UNBELIEVABLE from about 3 grand to 7 grand, rest of car was 8-3/4 mopar rear with 3.91's, turbo 350 full manual v body. Is there another cam equal or close to this one, I cant find it on a lot of parts places and Isky doesnt seem to show it. If I did miss seeing it, sorry. Oh yea, I was running a 3500 stall also. The thing was running mid 12's on a good night. Thanks for any info on this mystery cam I cant find.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPfreak
Hello everyone, I'm new here and getting back into building. My first passion with cars has always been under hood, anyway, my question for you guys. Mt last street car I built was in about 90-91 and it was a 70 Nova. I had a flat top 350 with 461 2.02-1.60 heads ported very much on both sides, flat tops, bottem end was a simple moroso windage tray with 6 quart pan, the usual good machine work on crank, rods @ rod bolts ect. I was running a torker 2 intake with a 750 AFB carb and a Mallory mechanical advance distributor, now to my question. I was running a Isky Z-30 cam, solid, 480 lift, 250 @ 050 and 280 total and this thing ran like a striped *** ape, it pulled UNBELIEVABLE from about 3 grand to 7 grand, rest of car was 8-3/4 mopar rear with 3.91's, turbo 350 full manual v body. Is there another cam equal or close to this one, I cant find it on a lot of parts places and Isky doesnt seem to show it. If I did miss seeing it, sorry. Oh yea, I was running a 3500 stall also. The thing was running mid 12's on a good night. Thanks for any info on this mystery cam I cant find.
I'm sure someone can help you with this (most likely Fbird'88) but why not run a solid with a little more lift? There's a lot of other grinds out there than can beat it and with the factory beehive springs going for about $75 a set it seems a shame not to step it up to something atleast around .525".

JMO. Congrats on coming back to building though! I just tore a set of heads apart to send them to get cleaned and milled like 2 minutes ago. Even though they're crappy 493's I still get a kick out of even the basics, like disassembly or cleaning up rough casting.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

I suggest calling ISKY.
They can/will grind you that cam
or suggest a close substitue.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

A compcam 294S would be pretty close and should run even better.

I would also recommend a performer rpm intake with a holley 750 for even more street/strip power.

use zddp oil additive with your new cam. cost an extra 10.00 an oil change but is worth it.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Isky's Z-30 camshaft #201030 is still current in the Isky catalog.

You can buy that cam from any dealer that sells Isky's stuff.

www.summitracing.com
www.competitionproducts.com
Most good automotive machineshops can get this cam and more from Isky.

Many many retail auto parts stores can get the isky stuff for you also.

You can order and buy that cam direct from The Camfather himself.
www.iskycams.com

You are in no way limited to what is shown in the catalog.

The cams shown in the Isky catalog are but a small sample of the cams available from this company. Custom grind cams are their speciality. If you don't see the exact cam specs you need for your engine, or don;t know what cam you need, give them a call. They will help you get the right cam and the matching valvetrain for your project.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-03-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Yep, I can verify that they will grind you whatever you want. I was building a 302 Ford street motor several years ago. I wanted a flat tappet solid, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted in the catalog. I called Isky and told the tech what I wanted. He said, oh yeah, we can grind the intake on this master, the exhaust on that master and advance it a little, then cut the cam on this lobe separation angle and bingo, there you go!!!! I gave him a credit card number and the little jewel arrived a few days later.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I like Isky, only used them once as I like to shop around, but they are big enough to do a lot of unique work yet small enoguh to care. Their prices are a little higher, but if you're looking for something in particular they'll usually have it and its well worth the call. I know Erson used to be like that too- can't say what they're like after the buy out.

As Fbird always brings up their lift rule cams work great with stock Vortecs with a spring swap. They'e also on a tight LSA with a single pattern (which I am a big fan of).

BTW, what is your name Fbird? I feel like I should know it by now as often as I run into you.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I found the cam on Flatlander and will also call Isky and see if I can't have one ground for this set up. I plan on pretty much trying to recreate this car I had but anything I can do to improve it from a 91 set up will be all the better. I have also figured out a good set of aftermarket heads are the way to go over the old iron stuff after all is said and done. Shoot, the way I'm starting to think, this Nova wont be anything close to the old one, just better! Now I need to dig up a 9" Ford. BTW, I still have the old Hooker Super Comps from that car, been draging em around for years.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPfreak
Thanks everyone for the help. I found the cam on Flatlander and will also call Isky and see if I can't have one ground for this set up. I plan on pretty much trying to recreate this car I had but anything I can do to improve it from a 91 set up will be all the better. I have also figured out a good set of aftermarket heads are the way to go over the old iron stuff after all is said and done. Shoot, the way I'm starting to think, this Nova wont be anything close to the old one, just better! Now I need to dig up a 9" Ford. BTW, I still have the old Hooker Super Comps from that car, been draging em around for years.
REcreate!
Finally after selling too many great cars I wish I had back,
I kept one for 20 years. s

As fast as good old cars have disappeared, hang on to this one.

Also I might suggest going to a roller cam.
I wouldn't be suprised if 5 years from now the anti-wear additives we can pour in to help our flat-cams will be outlawed by the EPA.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
REcreate!
Finally after selling too many great cars I wish I had back,
I kept one for 20 years. s

As fast as good old cars have disappeared, hang on to this one.

Also I might suggest going to a roller cam.
I wouldn't be suprised if 5 years from now the anti-wear additives we can pour in to help our flat-cams will be outlawed by the EPA.

Might I suggest looking at a Vortec complete engine. I got one I'm building up now and for the money you really can't beat it. The heads can support an easy 450hp, and upwards of 500 if you port and prep them right. hyd. roller setup from the factory... a 250/250 cam with a 108LSA would be more streetable than your original setup and make more power (though I would take about 5 degrees off the duration). The only problem I forsee is finding a trans to take all the power and then all the tires you'll need to buy.

Call Isky up and talk to them about the difference between hyd. roller and solid flat tappet cams- I think you'll start looking towards the roller stuff.

Get a Vortec engine, ARP bolts all around, Mahle pistons, clevite bearings, port and machine the heads, and a custom cam (most boxed ones are crappy compromise IMO) with a RPM intake. If setup right you'll be running high 11's consistently.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.