Old lacquer, new BC/CC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 11:37 AM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old lacquer, new BC/CC

I painted my '34 Ford in 1976 with lacquer color and then clear lacquer over it. After almost 30 years, the paint is cracking and I can see the primer under some of the cracks. I intend to re-paint the car with BC/CC in the next year or so, and I'm wondering if I have to remove all of the old lacquer including primer, or can I just feather it out with an electric orbital sander where it is cracked and start from there with BC/CC primer and then the color and clear. I don't want to use stripper because there is some bondo work under there and the car is very straight right now. I don't have a DA sander, but could get one if any of you guys feel that is a good approach. BTW, I was in my 30's when I stripped and painted this car (original paint) in the 70's, and doing the math I'm now a ton older and looking for the easiest way to get the prep work right. Paint jobs in the Phoenix area are anywhere from $6,000 to $20,000, and my car is just a driver and not for trophies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000079.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1905  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Thats a sweet looking driver,
Unfortunately all the paint and primer must come off. If you stop seeing crazing while sanding they are still there and will show up
through the new paint in a very short time.
Best bet for what you want to do is a DA and 80 grit, I'm really not sure what your orbit is so don't know how that would work.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I'd rather fix a rusty bucket than have to repaint one that has checked paint.

Sand the paint off, all of it right down to the metal and filler, just leave a haze of the old primer so that you don't get into the filler that is already there, do the last sanding with a long board and blocks, if you can, and it will stay straighter. Then start over with your choice of primer and level every thing, then seal it and paint.

Troy

________
If you don't make mistakes. your not doing anything.

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 06-18-2004, 01:30 PM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:

BarryK and Troy.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was afraid of (all the work). Troy, I agree that fixing an old rusty project would be better than this job. The car in question was exactly that when I pulled it out of Milwaukee in 1970. Can't believe I still own the thing, but had to retire it for over 25 years while I attempted to raise kids and travel the country with my job.
Both of your profiles show you are professional body work people, so I trust your judgement. Will try to get my personal body in shape enough to do this in pieces with a few days (and aspirin) to heal in between.

Chev283

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.