Old Magazines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old Magazines

A little slow here today, so I thought i'd ask everyone-what do you do with your old Car magazines? I find that I keep certain one (Street Rodder, Street Rod Builder), but I tend to throw away (after I read them, that is) Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Chevy High Performance, etc.

Also, where do you store them-and how? I've got a couple of old steel File Cabinets full (and I'm starting to run out of space)-I'm thinking of purging-any thoughts or comments?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Mine are in the attic of a house I used to own, guess who owns the house now

Mostly RA & SR from mid 70s to mid 80s, maybe some old antique auto mags too. I was going to grab them this winter and ebay them, like one full year in each group, to get them gone quicker. With the internet, I don't need to buy any mags anymore, nor look at the old ones for ideas....Well...maybe I'll do quick looks as I bundle them.

I'm trying to downsize the piles of cr#@ & projects that comes with old age. Some is bringing great money for current projects but a lot is junk or too low in value to auction. I don't want to be burdened by possesions anymore. Some stuff went to the scrapyard for a pretty good days pay. I'll keep 2-3 vintage cars and put the money in them as needed then get rid of everything else except tools. That way, if I need to bail out, I just need to auction 3 cars, and give the tools to my son.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

I keep every one I get. They are just in my bookshelf, in order of automotive type. Altought, I am considering filing them via articles or certain things.

You never know when you just might need to know that one, little thing.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You never know when you just might need to know that one, little thing.
are you sure you are not from New England?....that phrase is sort of a old friendly rib or joke out here, to us old yankees that just can't seem to part with anything...

But now that I think about it, I believe the "world's biggest ball of used string" in the Guiness world record book is out your way, isn't it?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM

I scan the articles and pictures that I think I might be able to use or help someone else with and store them on cd's. You can get a scanner for under a hundred bucks and put each article in a different folders and even have sub-folders. Like Electrical/Wiring/Alternator....Electrical/Wiring/SteeringColumn and so on.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I took 2 boxes full of SR and SRB to the Jefferson swap meet last spring.

I left the tailgate down on my truck with a big FREE sign.When I came back, they were all gone.

I hope they do someone some good. They sure helped me when I was building My Coupe.

I had offered them to some group that was shipping stuff to our troops. They wouldn't take them. Too heavy, I guess.

454 RATTLER
Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I had this problem of keeping them because of stuff I wanted to remember or consider at a latter date , only trouble was I had a stack of rags that I had to reread to find what I saved the stupid things for in the first place ................... well now older and wiser , I tear out the stuff I want and save that in one spot/folder toss the rest..... much better and takes up less room. Another down side of magazines is that if they are old enough they will remind you how high the prices on everything has gone UP
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

yeah i bundle up some of mine by the years and put them out for the last yard sale with no takers.......
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I usually keep them for a few months and then toss them, unless there is an article with info that I may need. Then I'll keep them. I got a couple years of Street Rodders from Irelands Child just for a T Bucket build they did. They come in handy.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

I guess I'm a little different than the rest of you. My mags go back to the early 50's when I started buying them with my lunch money. I have all but two issues of R&C, many complete sets of the little page mags from the 50's & early 60's. I also have every issue of Street Rodder, Rod Action and probably a half dozen others. Literally thousands of isssues.
I have one closet dedicated to the magazines. They're stored by title and year in boxes. [The new Priority Flat Rate boxes are perfect and you can get them free from the post office on line].
We are downsizing and all the other collections are going but not the mags.
mike
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Anyone know how we could send them to Iraq for our boys?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Check with your local VFW, they should know. Shipping costs could be high? I doubt they would pay the shipping. Check post office rates on discount "media mail" and see if it applies to overseas delivery.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
yeah i bundle up some of mine by the years and put them out for the last yard sale with no takers
Ditto. I had approx. 400 mags and could not give them away. Finally after the garage sale I put them out front. A couple of kids stopped and I told them that if they took one, they had to take them all. They piled them into the trunk of their car an left with smiles on their faces
As far as collections back into the fifties forward, I would see if I could find some kind of binders to put them in and file them away but where they would be handy or if the garage is fixed up put them on display in an old magazine rack. Maybe advertise so a collector or glorified garage guy (one that is set up with nostalgia and petrolinia collections) may be able to get his hands on them.
What makes me feel bad is the price of a magazine times 400 ......

Kevin
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

I had 20plus years of several different magazines & decide to send them overseas to the troops. I had a friend who was over there said that some of the service people never have enough to read & gave me the following 2 address & when my magazines arrived over there he told me that no sooner had he open the boxes & threw them on the table they were GONE.

MWR
KBR Services B-9
Camp Habbaniyah
APO AE 09381

MWR
KBR Services B-6
Al Taqaddum Air Base
APO AE 09381

Be sure to use the "Flat Rate" box you can get from the Post Office. The magazines fit perfectly & for less then $9 you can stuff about 20 pounds of magazines in the box...joe
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho
Anyone know how we could send them to Iraq for our boys?

Well,

I am involved in a program to send stuff to the Troops (I'm a drop-off point and when I get a Truck load (ot two sometimes) I take them to another Lady who is a bigger drop-off point and so on)-it's kind of sad-three of four Years ago I made a lot of trips, new not not as many-have people forgotten?

I will ask her about that -sometimes I get boxes of stuff that has food and a few Magazines in it(and I sometimes send them too), so I know that they will take "some" of them-

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.