old mans stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Last journal entry: my 88
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

old mans stroker

need some help. i have just got my block back from the machine shop.had it prepared for stroker build.installed crank and pistons and now it will be at least a month before i can afford to cover cylinder heads and oil pan and i dint want it to start rusting.......what can i spray inside cylinders and over crank to protect it. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardman
need some help. i have just got my block back from the machine shop.had it prepared for stroker build.installed crank and pistons and now it will be at least a month before i can afford to cover cylinder heads and oil pan and i dint want it to start rusting.......what can i spray inside cylinders and over crank to protect it. thanks.

Cover it liberally with Marvels Mystery Oil, not only will it protect it from rust but it works great at cleaning any residual gunk off too (much better than WD40). I would also cover it with a plastic bag and store it so the block is not electrically grounded (on a thick rubber mat).
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
All I do is wipe all the bare surfaces down w/motor oil, then bag the parts. If the crank is going to be installed, use assembly lube on the bearings and journals- but I wouldn't install the crank until I was ready to do the mock up or final assembly instead of setting the crank in now w/assembly lube.

You will want to watch out for condensation unless it's in a climate controlled space. I had stored parts in the trunk of an old Jetta, went back and things had rusted because of the condensation. Fortunately nothing like a crank or cam, rods, etc. were in there. Just iron intake, exhaust manifolds, things like that.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

thats the first thing that came to mind was Marvel Mystery Oil but was not taking any chances with my once in a life time build thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Cover it liberally with Marvels Mystery Oil, not only will it protect it from rust but it works great at cleaning any residual gunk off too (much better than WD40). I would also cover it with a plastic bag and store it so the block is not electrically grounded (on a thick rubber mat).
OMG, I cranked up a rebuilt Harley TC88B over the weekend that had been preserved with Marvel Mystery Oil. The smoke! Yikes! The shop was gassed out.

The coffee tasted like MMO the rest of the day.

Bogie
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

is that a bad thing?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

motor store

i used the spray u get at a marine dealership to spray inside outboard motors.. it klings to the surface... i use it every yr when i put the bucket away...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

i dont care if it smokes as long as it wont harm anything.whats your thoughts on two stroke oil.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

its not a 2 stroke oil

its engine storage spray... it klings to the cyl walls and other parts for winter storage..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
i dont care if it smokes as long as it wont harm anything.whats your thoughts on two stroke oil.

You have an assembled short block, the very little amount that you will use will be wiped off when you continue with assembly. Burning any of this is not going to happen.

You need something that will prevent rust, will not run off for a couple months, and is cost effective, easy to buy, and easy to use.

MMO is all of that and helps clean it for further assembly as well. MANY people use motor oil or WD40, but they do not clean as well and WD40 needs constant reapplication.

Just about any oil type substance will work as you only have a few parts, not an engine. Hell, used motor oil will work if you don't mind having to clean everything a little more thoroughly prior to assembly.

I prefer MMO because it has worked well for me AND helps clean, but this isn't something you need to give a lot of thought to.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Oil it with either Marvel or motor oil, bag it, compress the air out as much as you can, and tie off the end. Could probably toss a few of those moisture eaters in the bag if you'd like.

Cover it until you're comfortable. It's much easier to clean oil residue off than to remove surface rust off a pretty motor.

I know how it feels to see a beautiful engine sitting there. When I built my stroker, I was almost sad when I realized this was the prettiest it would ever look.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

FWIW, 2 stroke oil will also work. In fact I have used it in the past. I found it to work well when used to spray the surface rather than wipe it w/motor oil (like a bare unpainted cast iron block), it can be thinned w/mineral spirits for use in a spray bottle. Be careful of flame or sparks or ignition sources of any kind- the vapor is flammable. Put newspaper under and around it to keep the overspray off things.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
is that a bad thing?
We turned on the paint booth fans to suck the smoke out. We're too cheap to throw a pot of Starbucks out, we drank it MMO and all.

Wait till Jerry comes in next week to paint and discovers he has to degrease the paint booth, I think I already hear my mom calling.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.