Old projects that come back to haunt you. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Old projects that come back to haunt you.

I started building my pro-street 41 Chevy about 13 years ago. It took 6 years to complete the frame off build and I drove it for about 4 years before I sold it 3 years ago at the Nats in Louisville.

Since then the car has been sold twice and the other day the new owner e-mailed me with some questions he had about the car. Each new owner has contacted me at least once with questions and man I'm glad I keep good records.

I'm not complaining, just commenting on the fact that when you build a car it's a good idea to keep very detailed records about what parts went into it. You just never know when you'll need that info again and it may not be for a new owner, if something breaks two or three years down the road you might not remember what part it is either.

I can tell you just about every part, down to the nut and bolt, that went into my 41 Chevy and my '53 pickup. I've already documented all the parts that I've collected for my Deuce build and what I'm currently collecting for my Max Wedge clone project. Take some friendly advise, don't just go buy something without making a note in a log book about what it is.... you just never know if you or some new owner might need to replace that part someday.

Advertisement

Last edited by Centerline; 01-16-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
jack of all trades

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i agree
i sure do wish i had kept records of my mods. i know whats in it, but sometimes i don't remember what came before/after what else, and exactly when.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

So true...

I really feel for whoever owns my s10 after me. The truck is a frankenstein. The engine is a 71, the tranny is a 73, the rearend is a 69, the truck is a mix of an 82 and an 88...

I miss the old days of just telling the guy at the parts counter what the truck was and getting the right parts. Now I have to give a detailed explanation and bring an example.

And, of course, the previous owner had absolutely no idea where any of the parts originally came from so it has been a learning experience. And the truck was a real piece of junk when I bought it.

But still more fun than should be legal.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

My old ranger was sort of like that (not modified). Fortunately, it was all documented online and my brother is the current owner. He pasted it all into a file.

After me owning it for 16 years, not a whole lot was still the factory installed parts.

This is excellent advice though for any of us. Even those of us who own a vehicle will forget what year and model we swapped (borrowed, used, stolen) parts off of.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.