Old style chevy valve covers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old style chevy valve covers

How to use old style v chevy v covers on my 327

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 59
Posts: 11,637
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 693
Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,243 Posts
are you talking about the valve covers that have the offset bolt pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered User
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 3,847
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,089
Thanked 655 Times in 540 Posts
To dovetail with what Vinnie said

GM used a 'staggered' perimeter bolt pattern on early V8's (265 and maybe 283) valve covers. Later Gen 1 Smallblocks (say 1960 through the early 80s) used the parallel perimeter bolt pattern. 1987 or so they went to the 'centerbolt' valvercover setup; Which is just as it sounds, the retaining bolts run down the center of the valvecover.

There are adapters to use the "later" (60s thru 80s) perimeter valvecovers on the 'centerbolt' heads. These may or may not cause interference with large body rockers, so contact the manufacturer of the adapters and ask.

I know of no way to run the offset or staggered 'covers on standard perimeter heads or the 'centerbolts'

PML makes some neat cast aluminum valvecovers; they're not cheap, but they're american and they seem to do a good job of hiding the breathers/pcv and minimizing the centerbolt setup at first glance, instead of using the adapters
PML Valve Covers, YourCovers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevy 305 rubbing holes in valve covers! dspdiver Engine 5 03-20-2007 06:40 AM
need chevy OEM baffled type valve covers TVR383 Engine 8 10-18-2003 05:22 PM
Using old style valve covers on center bolt heads? Camino SS Engine 2 06-05-2003 03:54 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.