Old style radiator new style motor.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old style radiator new style motor..

So i have a 1953 f100 radiator i want to hook upto a 351w. I'm a bit confused on how to make the 2 work.. The radiator has 4 necks for coolant hoses (2 on the the top and 2 on the bottom).. But you only need and inlet and outlet for the windsor motor.. So does anyone have any idea how i would go about making that radiator work with the newer motor? I was thinking i could have someone weld up one coolant neck on the top and the bottom.. But i'm really unsure how those radiators were intended to work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Back in the day, that's exactly how it was done when switching from a 4 hose motor to a 2 hose motor....meaning seal off the 2 you don't need.

I am positive that it is still being done today by some. A friend has the same deal on a 34 ford with a SBC and it cools fine. (lots of folks say it won't work....or say: why cheap out?)
Old 06-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Also, use opposite sides, rather that using the inlet and outlet on the same side. It may still cool ok that way, but it's tons better when opposite.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhauk90
So i have a 1953 f100 radiator i want to hook upto a 351w. I'm a bit confused on how to make the 2 work.. The radiator has 4 necks for coolant hoses (2 on the the top and 2 on the bottom).. But you only need and inlet and outlet for the windsor motor.. So does anyone have any idea how i would go about making that radiator work with the newer motor? I was thinking i could have someone weld up one coolant neck on the top and the bottom.. But i'm really unsure how those radiators were intended to work?
What you have is a radiator for a flat head V8. These used dual water pumps, thus the pairs of inlet and outlet bibs.

Your choices are to use one of each top and bottom bib and plug the unused one. Or construct a Y or T manifold out of copper plumbing parts or welded steel tube to split the out going flow at the top to both inlets and do the same at the bottom for the outlet into the pump. You could do the same with large diameter stainless braid hose and fittings, but this is the high price spread, though would look beyond cool.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.