Hot Rod Forum banner

old style starter gm to new style

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I have just changed engines in my 40 ford from a 1968 chev 327 to a 383 .So I will not be using my old style starter .Going to a new gm small style , what I am would like to know is the resistor wire on the old style starter going to cause me any problems not being connected . If so where does the resistor wire on the old style go to in the wireing harness , and what do I have to do to be :welcome: able to use the new starter ?

fat40

#3 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

The new style solenoid will not have a "R" or "I" terminal on it.This is the secondary ignition terminal.

If you have an uninterrupted source of power to the HEI, (12 volts that does not drop out when you switch the Ignition to "Start") This wire is not used.

If you have a ballast resistor, and an HEI , (and it actually runs) Get rid of the resistor, it will run 100% better.It is not used for HEI...and if hooking up for the first time in the new body, It may not run at all.

#5 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

If your new engine is running an HEI type Ignition, you do not need the ballast resistor.

If you are running an aftermarket ignition, refer to your installation diagram, Some require them and some do not.

To use one where it is not needed, will cause no damage, but make it run poorly, or not at all...

To NOT use one where required WILL cause coil damage, and componet damage, in addition to poor performance after a short period of replacement time.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.