Older Holley 4150 and 700R-4 TV Cable Problem Solved -- Maybe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 PM

Last journal entry: Actual Car Work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Older Holley 4150 and 700R-4 TV Cable Problem Solved -- Maybe

I'm in the process of mocking up my re-built SBC to find unanticipated problems and have been very successful: I've run into a big problem.

I'm using a Weiand 142 blower "kit" P/N 6500-1 and Weiand's recommended Holley carb, P/N 80572 (it's a boost-referenced Holley 4150).

The problem is that I'm also using a 700R-4 transmission and the Holley carb, according to the instruction manual, " ... is NOT designed for use with ANY automatic overdrive transmissions." (Of course, they only disclose this in the installation instructions; it's mentioned nowhere else.) This is my big problem.

Obviously, what they are referring to is the lack of any appropriate bracketry associated with the throttle cable attachment point so that a TV cable can be attached. This means that Holley's "solution" (P/N 20-121, their 700R-4 kickdown throttle bracket) has NOTHING to mount to. Even if it did (I have one), the geometry is all wrong, only pulling the TV cable through a 30 degree arc instead of the required 78 degrees. That may be why others have had a problem with their 700R-4s even when using the Holley bracket.

Working from info at Sumner Patterson's site, I found I could modify/construct a bracket to add the 700R-4 functionality that Holley left out.

Basically, I constructed a piece of cardstock with the correct geometry like he did, located the correct placement of the TV cable stud, and mocked up a solution. I will simply cut up the otherwise-useless Holley 20-121 bracket and weld it to the carb in the proper place. Based on my mock-up, the TV cable stud will move through the correct geometry from closed to WOT. In theory, I've solved my problem (but I haven't done it yet so no pictures).

I'm posting this because
1) I haven't been able to find anything where somebody else already solved this problem;
2) There may be a better way to do this I didn't find (remember that the Holley adapter and similar adapters will not work with my particular "older" carb and the Holley adapter may not really work at all); and
3) I'd like to get some feedback and maybe a little validation of my thinking before I actually weld stuff to a brand-new carb (which I purchased 4 years ago, so there's no taking it back).

As a helpful reference, these links provide useful information:
Sumner Patterson's site: http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...o/700R4p1.html
TV System 101 http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
700R-4 FAQ http://700r4.com/faq/faq.shtml
Speedo Gear Calculator at http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml
Useless Holley bracket: http://www.holley.com/20-121.asp
Pics of identical carb/blower: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152602

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

At the very least, make sure the TV cable is fully extended at full throttle. That's max trans pressure at max throttle- where it needs to be as far as performance goes.

Here's my Holley HP 750 connected to the 'ol TV linkage.

And for the long version:

Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: Actual Car Work
Last photo:

OK, that's the diagram I was working from that Sumner Patterson had at his site. I have the arc of the TV cable stud moving exactly like that.

The second critical measurement is the distance from the stud to the TV cable bracket.

After I modify the carb, I'll mock up the bracket and measure and modify as necessary.

Now I know why my BBC/Edelbrock carb/700R-4 car never drove right . . .

I'll try to take pictures and add this to the Wiki.

Thanks.

LOL -- this post has already been picked up by Google!

Last edited by hduff; 09-05-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Sum's web site receives many hits on it for the tech information on it. Information for transmissions to how he built his house or info about his sail boat

Sum is a good friend of mine

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.