Hot Rod Forum banner

older tools

12K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  JMEDLEY001 
#1 ·
My Mom passed away and left me her tools. I was brought up the craftsman was the best! but going thru her stuff I have found some different branded wrench's. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me find out about these. Oxwall, Billings vitalloy, Indestro, Tiger, Tomahawk, Craftsman vanadium, WF-79 Plomb these are all stamped USA and I have one DIN 895 West Germany. They are all 15 years + old. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks

#3 ·
Never heard of any of those...Tomahawk rings a bell..............15 years isnt that old for tools, you should be able to research them quite easilly.

Most of my tools are 15+ years old.....some are 50+....from my dad.

#5 ·
On an old "Plumb" wrench or tool the "U" is shaped somewhat like an "O".
Plumb is what later became Proto. Good old tools.

Billings vitaloy appear to me, ( I have some of them), to be Williams second line. Not bad stuff either.

Mikey

#7 ·
I have some Plumb ratchets . They remind me of the older Craftsman because they are built like a tank Billings and Indestro are great tools I also have some armstrong wrenches which are also good tools.

A co-worker worked part time at a bone yard and brought me tools people left in the cars when they were junked. I still have some that my son has not lost yet.
....russ

#8 ·
sk

I found in my stash of tools, a complete set of SK-Wayne, 33 piece 3/8 drive sockets and ratchet. I looked them up to see what they sell for and was shocked to find that they sell for $250.00. I bet I have had these things for more than 40 years. I think it's time to let them go to a new home where they will be used.

tc; love my old tools!

#9 ·
old tools

ict55chevy said:
I found in my stash of tools, a complete set of SK-Wayne, 33 piece 3/8 drive sockets and ratchet. I looked them up to see what they sell for and was shocked to find that they sell for $250.00. I bet I have had these things for more than 40 years. I think it's time to let them go to a new home where they will be used.

tc; love my old tools!
Heck I have some SK when they were Sherman Klove. Thats before Wane and Cooper tools bought them out.

The sad part, I bought then NEW I am glad they gar. them for life. As I do not know what to hope for. The tools are very well made and have outlasted me., or I am well made and have outlasted them!...russ

#10 ·
I have a new (couple months old) set of craftsman tools, I have no idea what the chrome finish does... they can keep the chrome for all I care, so long as they work, and work hard. I do like the laser-etched size... that way when I;m old and can't see some bolt I'm trying to remove I can at least see which size of socket I'm using. :thumbup:

#12 ·
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
I have a new (couple months old) set of craftsman tools, I have no idea what the chrome finish does... they can keep the chrome for all I care, so long as they work, and work hard. I do like the laser-etched size... that way when I;m old and can't see some bolt I'm trying to remove I can at least see which size of socket I'm using. :thumbup:
Hey! Have you been out in the shop watching me? Ha Ha Ha :D

#13 ·
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:

Unfortunatly, that laser etching actually wears off and is hard to see after a while. I have another brand of tools with the laser etched sizing, and the most commonly used wrenches are hard to read. If I didn't know what size they are by where they are in the drawer, i would have to look at them pretty hard to see the size. However, I use mine hard every day, all day, so they may see more use/abuse than some.

#15 ·
poncho62 said:
Hate to have to say it.....But, a "Real Mechanic" doesn't need to read the sizes on his sockets.............He can tell by just looking at them.

Don't talk to me about metrics though................. :confused:
I used to be able to do that...could look at a socket or a bolt either one and tell you the size....that was before my eyes went bad and I got these dadgummed bi-focals. I can still do it part of the time though if the lights good. :)

#17 ·
poncho62 said:
Hate to have to say it.....But, a "Real Mechanic" doesn't need to read the sizes on his sockets.............He can tell by just looking at them.

Don't talk to me about metrics though................. :confused:

Of course, poncho, being up in the land of rust, you also need to take in to account the amount of rust on each side of the hex, the size of the hammer, and the number of times you need to whack the socket to make it fit. Thank goodness for the torch. I'd be lost without it....

In a while, Chet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.