Hot Rod Forum banner

Oldie but goodie

975 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bad Rat 
#1 ·
I'm 77 years old , probably one of the few guys from Santa Ana and Lions dragstrip days. Trying to finish up my last rod. Cant get down and under anymore. "76 dodge D100 stepside, like " Little Red Express" except plain.
Factory 440, Edelbrock heads and intake,Hughes hyd cam, 870 Holley, 2500 converter and beefed T/F 727. Just a nice street machine. Auto parts business 50 years, last 30 had my own store so started at the front bumper and went to the rear and replaced all that was possible without removing the cab, all else was removed except cab . It's all new or rebuilt. But man I never thought it would take this long. I'm 17 years of fiddling with it and it still aint done , needs a/c to make complete. Trying to figure how to get it done sorry to ramble so , but you know old pukers are. ;)

#2 ·
That's only a number, Mopargary. We have a group here in Northern Wisconsin and 70 seems to be the average age.

Three of our group just ordered 4 post lifts for their shops. ( A lot of us can't get "down under" anymore .)

I would love to see some pictures of your D100.

Welcome to HR.com.

#4 ·
nice to be here.

Thanks for welcome Rattler and Cole. It's not the years man , its the emphysema and diabetes that's making this my last ride. Yeah man i still smoke them mum puckers. Only cant afford cigs anymore so little cigars now. lol
Spread the word "DON'T EVER START SMOKING" well, enough of all that. Pictures, you want pictures? Coming your way. :smash: Just went to Insert Image and don't understand the "Enter text to be formatted " stuff, why not just search, I know where my pics are. lol, oh well I'll find a way to get some pics on here.

#6 ·
Hello from the West Coast of Florida better known as God's Waiting room.

Age is just a number for many us who once we retire have the opportunity to do whatever we want.

I have coffee at least one or two day's a week with a friend who is 78 years old and still keeping busy working on cars everyday.

My friends life has been spend chopping tops and building custom cars along with doing all the body work and painting.

His daily drive is a 1972 Chevy pickup that is chopped 6 inches, shortened, has a 383 strorker engine, all Corvette suspension and it turns heads where ever he goes.

Some days it takes a little longer to get going but always having a project to look forward to keeps many of us going.

My business is reproducing old racing decals and when friends ask me if I am ever going to retire my reply to them is why!! I am having way to much fun doing what I love to even think about retiring.

I can't wait to get up each morning and even thought I am a young 64 year old I have many projects I still want to complete.

Always remember that "Today is the first day of the rest of your life".

It is God's gift to you but what you decide to do with it is up to you.

Jimbo

#9 ·
Sorry man , no dana . Next strongest thing in Chrysler line I believe is 9 1/4 with 3.55 and suregrip.
Breakin miles are over so took on the freeway today. Cruising @ 60 in drive , punched it for first time. I'm just gonna let it shift for its self. It grabbed second , chirped the tires and we were off. Man I'm busy trying to watch tach, rear mirrors, inside and out for fuzz . When it shifted to high it chirped again and tach read 6200, shut off time. What a buzz, hadn't done anything like that in years on a public road. wish i had built a stroker now like I started to . Oh well I'm really happy with what I have . Fires at the touch of the key , decent idle and lots of torque. :D

#10 ·
Hey Mopar guy.. you're makin me feel better already,, you got these old farts on here coming out of the woodwork,, me included.. I'm 73, but as fast as these B/days come around these days, it'll be 74 real soon,
Us OLDER guys have to stay busy doing something to keep from napping all day; so thats what I also try to do,, as usual all my toys seem to stay projects,, that way I always have something to do,,
Nice truck you got there,, and the work you have put into it sure shows,,
Welcome to HR.C.. stick around,, us ole guys need to multiply,,, :D

#12 ·
mopargary said:
:welcome: Nice 33-34 man. That's the one Ford I never had but wanted. Tell me about it. :cool:
No names were mentioned,,and no other pictures of 33-34 fords,, so ,,,, I am assuming you are directing your question towards me,,so here goes ,,
its a "Rats Glass" fiberglass version of the 33-34 coupe, chopped 41/2" and a few other things they did to the mold,, a 2x4 tube chassis, C/O on all 4 corners, winters Q/C and the rest is home made ,, I guess you could say the chassis is also home made,,

some build pictures in my project journal, listed up at the right corner of this post,,, thanks for the interest,,,, :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.