olds 307 frost plug and idle problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

olds 307 frost plug and idle problem

hello 19 year old rookie car guy here i have a stock v6 87 cutlass supreme with the v6 replaced with a 307 from a 1982 delta 88 and i was driving it around alst summer for a bit and the water pump gasket started leaking so i used alot of water insted of wasting coolent, and then when i parked it for the winter i drained it but i guess there was still water and a bit of coolent mixed with it still in the block, and when i pulled it form the back yard and fixed the waterpump gasket it is now pissing coolent from beheind the right exhaust manifold near the back of the motor, it pisses a perfect stream of coolent like there was a factory hole drilled there beheind the exhaust manifold, so wouldt my block be cracked or do you guys think its a frost plug? and also it wont idle right, when i start it up it idles high for for a few seconds and then dies unless i keep feeding on the gas then it will idle but i usually shut it off becuz of no coolent and it also has no exhaust its cut off at the cat if that has anything to do with the idling

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM

I don't know if this is your problem, but I remember that the 307 had problems with electrolysis setting in between the heads and intake. You need to get a mirror or something so you can see exactly what's going on there. Bill.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM

You probably will find several issues which might include a freeze out plug, cracked block, head gasket. From under the car you "might" get a better picture of where the coolant is coming from. Your idle problem sounds like the carburetor had gas in it when you stopped using it and the gas turns to bad gas and clogs up the orifices. Only cure is to replace the carb, rebuild the one you have. If you choose to rebuild, do not just put a $50.00 kit in it and call it rebuilt. It needs to be disasembled, soked in a solvent, cleaned throughly and put back together with all measurements exact. If you do not rebuid it correctly, all you will accomplish is spending $50.00 on a rebuild kit. It is not a five minute job.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.