Hot Rod Forum banner

olds 330

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  WDCreech 
#1 ·
I need a lot of help. Brains fried. I have a 65 olds with a 330, Just completed a complete overhaul, new pistons, new cam, new rods, new distrubiter new cap, new plug wires, new carb. Motor will turn over and try to fire but will not run. Have retimed and check my timing several times, have plenty of fuel going to motor, its just will not run, any clue what i am missing? any thoughts on what i could be over looking?

#4 ·
Ok I have tried that, i have made that mistake before too, solid adjustable all adjusted to crane specs for cam. have great compression. It tries to run just will not, hits on several cylinders just not enough to fire up. Does not back fire at all or belch back thru carb.

#7 ·
stock points yes. have retimed cam also. Even had shop that did machine work for me come over and look at it, Chevy shop, but they build great dirt track engines. As far as juice, yes its a littlle screwy but it does maintain at least 6.8 volts at all time even when not trying to start motor as long as key is on.

#12 ·
It may be the condenser? Just had one do it to me (brand new out of the box was bad) I was throwing fits and then put the old condenser on and it started !!! I was mad as hell!!!LOL

Jester
If it was only one yea but there has been 3 new condensors and the old one that was on it when i spun a rod bearing and nothing changes, im beyond mad this car is getting the best of me, I will say I LOVE MY OLD FORD it acts up but still runs and this hand me down olds is a pain

#15 ·
No dist. is in proper place and wires are all correct, i was told to mix some fuel with 110 race fuel, it runs with a 2 to 1 mix ratio of high test and 110 race fuel. Thank You to everyone who responded it was driving me up a wall. Yes machine work was done and i guess we got it a little tighter than i calculated. But Thank You to everyone who posted.

#16 ·
Simple diagnosis; Remove the #1 plug, put your thumb over the hole, have someone tap the starter until you feel pressure, Use a wrench to turn the damper to the top dead center mark and then take the distributor cap off to see where the rotor is pointing. I'll bet it will be pointing to #6 plug wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.