Hot Rod Forum banner

Olds 330 build-up

65K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Ilike2tradem 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on a 1966 Olds 330 buildup? i have one and am thinkng of a "mild" build. Good quality head work, a good hot-tanking, and a basic buildup of good quality parts. Nothing over-the-top, putting it in an 87 Cutlass Salon, for daily driver, with some mild strip use (maybe). But mainly just for the fun of it. The 330 would definitely be different, although I know it won't be a small-budget build. It (the Cutlass) has the tired 140 horse 307, and the 66 came factory with 10.25:1 compression, and a more than 307 healthy 320hp/ Any neat suggestions? Thanks to all for reading, and have a wondrous week! :evil:

#2 ·
Do a search on Dave Smith engineering, he's one of the Olds gurus. He has a shop in Exeter, Ca. One of the Olds boards I was gandering at praises him highly, almost God-like..lol. I've met the guy, he does some nice work, knows how to make an Olds engine get up and move. Dan

Reactions: Ilike2tradem
#3 ·
The 330 is an underrated motor, but why not go to a 350 or 403 Olds? All Olds small blocks have exactly the same outside dimensions and the same stroke. The 403 has the disadvantage of the awful windowed main webs, but for a mild build it should be fine and there's no replacement for displacement. The 330 has one advantage, which is the stock forged crank. This crank will drop into any Olds small block (except the diesel block) with proper rebalancing. The 403 rods are much beefier than other small block rods. I'd suggest a 350 or 403 using a 330 crank. This avoids the issue of 45 deg cam bank angle vs. 39 degree used on all 68-up motors. Put together a set of W-31 spec heads, a decent dual pattern cam, and a Performer or Perf RPM intake and you're good to go.

#5 ·
Joe,
I have the 330 that I picked up very cheap, and yes it does have all the forged goodies in it. I thought of a 403, (very seriously) , but I already have the 330 to build, it is different and the 320 or so (possibly 350-375 on mild work) would be plenty for me. It is the factory hi-comp motor, so I figure it will move along prety good. I do have a new Performer RPM to be at the house today (c'mon UPS!!) so I can get my heads ported and polished, matched to the intake and such. I appreciate your time and efforts, along with your ideas. Thanks again.............. :thumbup:

#6 ·
Disturbed1 said:
Joe,
I have the 330 that I picked up very cheap, ...
I sort of figured as much. Just keep in mind that a 350 Olds block is also easy to find and relatively inexpensive. You might want to compare that to the price of 330-unique parts such as the pistons and cam. 350 Olds pistons and cams are common and not very expensive. If you do keep the 330 crank, be aware that the 64-67 motors use a different crank flange bolt pattern than the 68-up motors, so you'll need the flexplate that's correct for the 330. Also, all the 307 accessory brackets should bolt to the 330. The only issue may be the crank pulley. 330s use a slightly different balancer than the later motors. Also, us the water pump from the 307 to ensure the flange and pulley line up with the accessories.

Also, I assume you're not required to get the car emissions tested? If so, I assume you'll be replacing the electronic Q-jet with a normal carb. You'll also need to replace the 307 HEI distributor with an earlier non-computerized one. The late HEIs do not have any advance mechanisms since that is all done in the computer. Finally, if you're keeping the 200-4R you'll need to get an aftermarket kit to lock up the converter, since that function requires sensor inputs from the TPS and other sensors you'll likely be removing.

The alternative is to retain the electronic Q-jet and the computer. Since all Olds small blocks are externally identical, you should be able to pass the visual part of the emissions test. Only the primary side of the carb is computer controlled - the secondaries can be rejetted with richer metering rods to accommodate the new engine. Your call.

#7 ·
Wow, you have a handle on these, don't ya? Emissions aren't tested here (yet), but I would like to re-cat the car, and keep everything responsible. I bought a Pro-Comp HEI that is supposed to have worked with my 330, as long as I get the other electronics, which I plan to do. The 200R4 that is on the way is a new unit (refurbished) from a GM tech who is equipping it for the 330 as far as convertor wiring. I plan on a 600 Edelbrock , to go with the Performer RPM I have on the way. As far as cam, I haven't decided yet, but they seemed to be right in line with about anything else I have bought for SBF, or SBC. The rods I will probably have reconditioned,(if possible) and I will spring for new pistons, even if a bore isn't required. I plan on a good set of rockers, and springs to go along with the cam (matched), with a set of long-tube headers. I have a 2050 stall Grand National convertor coming with the tranny. Think I will need a little more stall? Or not? I will also plan to upgrade the rear, either try and spring for a custom 9 incher (if my budget ever allows) or picking up a good used 8.5" with a posi.................

#8 ·
Harlan Sharpe makes the best Olds rockers. When you get pistons, be sure to account for today's thicker head gaskets in your compression ratio. Aftermarket pistons are usually rated with the thin metal OEM head gaskets, but today most people use the FelPro head gaskets with 0.040" compressed thickness. This usually drops compression about a half point from advertised. Olds exhaust ports are awful; I like to use a dual pattern cam to make up for this. Mondello does have a good selection of cams.

#9 · (Edited)
I suggest be for doing any business with mondolo ask about him at realoldspower.com many of these olds guys have real world experience with him.yes back in the day he was #1 but joe mondolo don't run the business any more and things have changed.

theres lots of guys running & building 330s at realoldspower.com get some 1st hand Oldsmobile info there.

330 has potential. some 330 nuts over at realoldspower.com terry aka. MR. Olds at realoldspower.com builds olds and has a shop, his website is
http://www.fcrparts.com/ forget mondolo. Mr. Olds has build and dynoed some amazing small block olds. like a http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31181 403 with Performer RPM package 425 HP 454 TQ I say stop by there and get some free advice, or call terry at frcparts.com toll free he will be glad to talk to you.

the 403 has a bigger bore than a BBC.

I have a 403 in a 77 Cutlass Supreme

ask around over at realoldspower.com if nothing else do a search there for 403s b4 signing up.

Mr. Olds at realoldspower.com knows loves / builds and races 403s heres his web site. http://www.fcrparts.com/

Mustangsaly

#10 ·
I've had a few 64 and 65 Oldsmobile Cutlass cars with the stock 330 Oldsmobile engines. These engines are very streetable as-is. I never ran anything but the stock cams, heads, exhaust and 2 barrel intakes/carbs and was satisfied with the performance. I even had a 330 in an oval track race car, and thought it performed well...plus was VERY durable.

I would think that even if you just swapped in the 330 for the 307 without even rebuilding it, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much better your Cutlass would perform.

I don't know first hand, having never had cars with 350, 403 or 455 engines, but the 330 is suposed to have the best throttle response of the Oldsmobile engines. The 330 was the original design for the small block Olds and it is a nice bore/stroke combination for all-around performance. I think it was increased to 350 mainly because GM's marketing wanted Olds to have a 350 to compete with the other makes of the time.

The 45 degree lifter bank angle does require a camshaft that is usually not stocked by most parts dealers and the pistons are a bit tough to find in stock too (and more expensive than 350 pistons). You might not find the 10.25 compression pistons without going to an expensive forged piston. Even if you rebuild, there is a good chance that you'll be able to re-use the pistons and camshaft if the engine isn't too worn-out.

One thing to be aware of, is the fact that most Oldsmobile V-8's had non-adjustable rocker arms. Sometimes you need to get custom legnth push rods if the heads and block have been milled. Or, you could get adjustable rocker arms from an Oldsmobile specialty shop. Again, if the rebuild is mainly just rings, bearings, gaskets, etc... you don't need to worry about it.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I do appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my query. I do also believe that a stock rebuild of the 330 will vastly outshine the performance (or lack thereof) of the 307. I really wanted to keep an Olds engine in my Cutlass. I guess I am sort of a stickler when it comes to engine being swapped in anything. I always liked a Ford product in a Ford, Chebby and Chebby, Caddy in a Caddy, but I know a lot of people feel different. The build I was going to do was a mild head job (got the Mondello tech manual for some ideas) and have already bought and have a Performer Rpm intake, along with an HEI distributor. I have contacted Edelbrock about the EDl-7112, along with the recomended 5712 valve springs. They said even though this cam wasn't listed to work in the 330, after letting them in on what I was putting the 330 in, and the gearing I wanted, the tranny and such (they told me this would be a great cam match.I bought a 200R4 from John Kozek of Kozek's Transmissions, Richmond KY, of whom I HIGHLY recceomend--he is world-class and outstanding in dealing with customer problems and solutions)
I haven't torn the motor down other than the heads and intake yet, to check the pistons, rods or crank (bores will at least need to be honed, from water where it sat outside for a short time with the intake and heads loose--done by the guy i bought it from!!) I have seen that if I need to get pistons, and rods, they are going to be almost impossible to find, and absolutely outrageous to buy.......I have learned there isn't any such thing as a budget build for an Olds motor.........but it will be worth it in the end for me, i believe....... :thumbup:

#12 ·
Disturbed1 said:
...I really wanted to keep an Olds engine in my Cutlass. I guess I am sort of a stickler when it comes to engine being swapped in anything. I always liked a Ford product in a Ford, Chebby and Chebby, Caddy in a Caddy, ...
Amen!

...I have contacted Edelbrock about the EDl-7112, along with the recomended 5712 valve springs. They said even though this cam wasn't listed to work in the 330, after letting them in on what I was putting the 330 in, and the gearing I wanted, the tranny and such they told me this would be a great cam match.
I doubt the Edelbrock tech line understands the difference between the 45 degree and 39 degree cam bank angle on Olds motors. Just be sure the cam you get matches the block you have.

I bought a 200R4 from John Kozek of Kozek's Transmissions, Richmond KY, of whom I HIGHLY recceomend--he is world-class and outstanding in dealing with customer problems and solutions
Yes he is. I also bought a rebuilt 200-4R from John. Super guy and super quality.

I have seen that if I need to get pistons, and rods, they are going to be almost impossible to find,
Actually, rods, bearings, timing set, rockers, valve, etc. are identical to those of a 350 Olds. The only thing different is the bore and thus the piston/ring package.

#13 ·
I know I'm digging up a very old post but I picked up a '64 330 engine today for my '52 Pontiac project..

The engine has a blown head gasket according to the PO... he picked it up for a transplant into a Cutlass he owned but sold the car after he got laid off (familair tune these days).

He pulled the engine/trans from a running, but wrecked, Cutlass...said it ran and drove fine (2 years ago)... anybody aware of any known problems with head gaskets on this engine? Any tips or recommendations? I plan on keeping it stock...it now has a Carter AFB on it but I also got the original Q-jet with it and a good TH400... all for $150.0.

#15 ·
wow, there is some great knowledge here on those engines. I have owned some Olds and a couple 330s. I had a 64 Cutlass with the 290 horse and 4 speed. It would beat any of the 295-300 horse chevys around, although it couldn't touch a 340 mopar. The valve springs seemed real weak and Olds are known for some oiling and valve train problems that need taken care of. I've always heard the 330 block had a higher nickel content than other engines in the same family. I've also read that the 69-70 350 heads flow real good, later ones need the smog bump ground out of the exhaust

#17 ·
Mojo56 said:
I know I'm digging up a very old post but I picked up a '64 330 engine today for my '52 Pontiac project..

The engine has a blown head gasket according to the PO... he picked it up for a transplant into a Cutlass he owned but sold the car after he got laid off (familair tune these days).

He pulled the engine/trans from a running, but wrecked, Cutlass...said it ran and drove fine (2 years ago)... anybody aware of any known problems with head gaskets on this engine? Any tips or recommendations? I plan on keeping it stock...it now has a Carter AFB on it but I also got the original Q-jet with it and a good TH400... all for $150.0.
Are you sure it's a 1964 motor? The 64-65 330s only came with the Rochester 4GC square bore carb. The 66-67 motors came with Qjets. No 330 was ever factory bolted to a TH400; they only came with the Super Turbine 300 2 speed AT (which is NOT a Powerglide, by the way). Also, if it's really a 1964 motor, it has the one-year-only no. 1 casting heads that use the oddball shaft rockers. Parts for this valvetrain are nearly non-existent.

#18 ·
joe_padavano said:
Are you sure it's a 1964 motor? The 64-65 330s only came with the Rochester 4GC square bore carb. The 66-67 motors came with Qjets. No 330 was ever factory bolted to a TH400; they only came with the Super Turbine 300 2 speed AT (which is NOT a Powerglide, by the way). Also, if it's really a 1964 motor, it has the one-year-only no. 1 casting heads that use the oddball shaft rockers. Parts for this valvetrain are nearly non-existent.
The PO, whom I trust, said it came from a '64 Cutlass. I know the trans is not original because the driveshaft has been shortened... probably came from a full size 88.

If it is a '64 I'm not worried about parts availability.... I'm just goin to replace the head gaskets and bolt it back together. The carb is an interesting question... maybe it's a later intake on an early engine.

Time to get some #'s and do some research I guess.

#20 · (Edited)
The block number is 381917...early 425? :mwink: Back to the shop...

Update...

Nope..too narrow at the top of the block...the heads are 66-67 low compression..W 546091 L...that much I have figured out.

So it points to a 66/67 low compression small block engine that has gained a 4 barrel intake and a TH400.... funny how that happens.

#24 ·
Mojo56 said:
The block number is 381917...early 425? :mwink: Back to the shop...

Update...

Nope..too narrow at the top of the block...the heads are 66-67 low compression..W 546091 L...that much I have figured out.

So it points to a 66/67 low compression small block engine that has gained a 4 barrel intake and a TH400.... funny how that happens.
All the 330 heads have the same 64-ish CC chambers. There are no "low compression" heads. The CR was varied with different size piston dishes.

#26 ·
Mojo56 said:
Hey... here's the guy that started this old thread!

I'm pretty sure it IS a 330... one Olds FAQ page said the block was an early 425 (?)...the question mark was theirs not mine...it's NOT a 425.
Yes, it's me! ;)
Still don't have the motor complete, or car done. But We just bought a new house, 2 car attached garage, 4 car detached garage, and I have been working on it like crazy. 307 and tranny ready to pull, then I can go get all my motor and goodies from the friends house. I didn't have room where I lived previously for doing anything (apartment) so he has had it stored for me. Hopefully in the next few months, she will be going. Have a 71 455 and THM 400 I picked up cheap a year ago, as well. It's sitting in the detached, ready for a tear-down, and another project to go into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.