Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds 330 build-up
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed1
Joe,
I have the 330 that I picked up very cheap, ...
I sort of figured as much. Just keep in mind that a 350 Olds block is also easy to find and relatively inexpensive. You might want to compare that to the price of 330-unique parts such as the pistons and cam. 350 Olds pistons and cams are common and not very expensive. If you do keep the 330 crank, be aware that the 64-67 motors use a different crank flange bolt pattern than the 68-up motors, so you'll need the flexplate that's correct for the 330. Also, all the 307 accessory brackets should bolt to the 330. The only issue may be the crank pulley. 330s use a slightly different balancer than the later motors. Also, us the water pump from the 307 to ensure the flange and pulley line up with the accessories.

Also, I assume you're not required to get the car emissions tested? If so, I assume you'll be replacing the electronic Q-jet with a normal carb. You'll also need to replace the 307 HEI distributor with an earlier non-computerized one. The late HEIs do not have any advance mechanisms since that is all done in the computer. Finally, if you're keeping the 200-4R you'll need to get an aftermarket kit to lock up the converter, since that function requires sensor inputs from the TPS and other sensors you'll likely be removing.

The alternative is to retain the electronic Q-jet and the computer. Since all Olds small blocks are externally identical, you should be able to pass the visual part of the emissions test. Only the primary side of the carb is computer controlled - the secondaries can be rejetted with richer metering rods to accommodate the new engine. Your call.