Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds 330 build-up
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I do appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my query. I do also believe that a stock rebuild of the 330 will vastly outshine the performance (or lack thereof) of the 307. I really wanted to keep an Olds engine in my Cutlass. I guess I am sort of a stickler when it comes to engine being swapped in anything. I always liked a Ford product in a Ford, Chebby and Chebby, Caddy in a Caddy, but I know a lot of people feel different. The build I was going to do was a mild head job (got the Mondello tech manual for some ideas) and have already bought and have a Performer Rpm intake, along with an HEI distributor. I have contacted Edelbrock about the EDl-7112, along with the recomended 5712 valve springs. They said even though this cam wasn't listed to work in the 330, after letting them in on what I was putting the 330 in, and the gearing I wanted, the tranny and such (they told me this would be a great cam match.I bought a 200R4 from John Kozek of Kozek's Transmissions, Richmond KY, of whom I HIGHLY recceomend--he is world-class and outstanding in dealing with customer problems and solutions)
I haven't torn the motor down other than the heads and intake yet, to check the pistons, rods or crank (bores will at least need to be honed, from water where it sat outside for a short time with the intake and heads loose--done by the guy i bought it from!!) I have seen that if I need to get pistons, and rods, they are going to be almost impossible to find, and absolutely outrageous to buy.......I have learned there isn't any such thing as a budget build for an Olds motor.........but it will be worth it in the end for me, i believe.......