Olds 350 cu in, no oil to valves - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Olds 350 cu in, no oil to valves

My cousin just purchased a 67 Olds Cutlass that has a 350 engine in it. The engine was recently rebuilt prior to selling it to my cousin. We put a carb on the engine, fired it up and it ran nice. We pulled the valve cover and the valve rockers are dry as is the gulley and valve covers. No oil is coming out of the rocker. We checked the oil pressure and it's at 80 lbs. We have pressure at the block but nothing coming out top end. The engine didn't clack or make any noise and really ran nicely. Someone also mention that GM had two types of lifters. Any suggestions on what to check?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
This is one reason to pre oil an engine.
I think that since you didn't soak the lifters in oil, or borther
to pre oil, you may have air trapped in the lifters, you can either use a drill run pre oilier,
that you can get at auto zone as a loaner, & try & get the air out, or put oil on the rockers & start it up,
it should clear the air out in a minute or so.
Rich
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Weak oil pressure

You might look and see if the oil galley plugs were installed in the front of the block.... The plugs were probably removed for cleaning and not put back. This will let the pressure drop off behind the timing chain and be good at the port where you are getting your oil pressure. The solid one goes on the left front and the one with the hole on the right. The mains feed around the left galley so running the engine too long like this will starve the front mains and rods. The small hole in the right plug oils the timing chain.

Dan Hurst
Old 03-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Hurst, thank you for the info and others as well. We did prime the motor with the drill method prior to starting the engine. I have a feeling these plugs you mention may be the culprit. I'm not familiar with this engine, but where are these plugs located? Is it behind the timing chain cover on the block? What should I look for, if there is a plug or not a plug. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 PM

The plugs are located behind the top timing gear at the ends of the lifter oil galleys. If you just see threads at the end of the oil rails then the plugs are missing. I tried to find a picture for you with no avail.

Dan Hurst
Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Hi,
Although I don't think this is the problem, here is a picture of the plugs, just because it could be.
Rich

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ics/index.html
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Kleen56,
Although you said you primed the oiling system, you apparently stopped before you had oil coming up to the valve train, as you said it was dry, sometimes it takes a lot longer to get oil up then you would think, because most people can only relate to starting their engine & seeing almost instant oil pressure, well that won't happen using a drill to run the oil pump, when you were pre oiling did you have a gauge attached so you could see if you were making pressure? & not to insult you, but were you turning the pump in the right direction? along with rotating the engine buy hand while priming?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Kleen56,
Although you said you primed the oiling system, you apparently stopped before you had oil coming up to the valve train, as you said it was dry, sometimes it takes a lot longer to get oil up then you would think, because most people can only relate to starting their engine & seeing almost instant oil pressure, well that won't happen using a drill to run the oil pump, when you were pre oiling did you have a gauge attached so you could see if you were making pressure? & not to insult you, but were you turning the pump in the right direction? along with rotating the engine buy hand while priming?
Richard- LOL... Actually, I didn't do the priming, my cousin did. He contacted me after he noticed no oil coming out the rockers after starting the car. He's pretty savvy with engines and rebuilt his own blown 350 which is in a 57 Chevy. This problem hasn't occurred to either of us. I have to laugh, because he may just have been turning the drill the wrong way Wouldn't put it passed him. The only question I have, is he started and ran the engine for several minutes including revving it up on occasions. I would think that should of primed the engine running that long? I know he is running a high volume oil pump and I read that could be a cause for blowing out those oil plugs as well. I believe he's going to pull the timing cover and see if the plugs are there or not. He's convinced that is the problem. Heck, it'll give him something to do! I heard the engine run and it sure sounded nice for not getting any oil to the rockers, etc.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstbros0
You might look and see if the oil galley plugs were installed in the front of the block.... The plugs were probably removed for cleaning and not put back. This will let the pressure drop off behind the timing chain and be good at the port where you are getting your oil pressure. The solid one goes on the left front and the one with the hole on the right. The mains feed around the left galley so running the engine too long like this will starve the front mains and rods. The small hole in the right plug oils the timing chain.

Dan Hurst
The oiling system of an Olds motor feeds the lifter galleries first, then the mains. (Yeah, not the world's best design) If the plugs had been left out, the oil pressure would be only a couple of PSI, not 80 psi. The most likely things to check are the pushrods and the lifters. The pushrods are easy. Pull them out and verify that you can see light from one end to the other. If not, that's the problem. If you can, then the lifters are likely the problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The oiling system of an Olds motor feeds the lifter galleries first, then the mains. (Yeah, not the world's best design) If the plugs had been left out, the oil pressure would be only a couple of PSI, not 80 psi. The most likely things to check are the pushrods and the lifters. The pushrods are easy. Pull them out and verify that you can see light from one end to the other. If not, that's the problem. If you can, then the lifters are likely the problem.
Thanks for the advise and info Joe. I thought it was the lifters and pushrods having crud in them myself, however, that would more likely be the problem with a few rockers not getting oil. In this case, none of the pushrods/ rockers are getting oil. I highly doubt all the lifters and all the pushrods would be plugged. Of course, I may be wrong!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
More for Less Racer

I'm not that knowledgable about Olds, I'm a chevy guy, but I do know that there is a difference between Pontiac and Chevy lifters that relates to the height of the oil band cut around the body of the lifter and its alignment with the oil passage that will cause oiling problems if you try to use chevy lifters in the Pontiac. Might be a similar thing, they all use the same diameter lifter. Just another area for you to explore for problems. Try www.realoldspower.com
Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
I'm not that knowledgable about Olds, I'm a chevy guy, but I do know that there is a difference between Pontiac and Chevy lifters that relates to the height of the oil band cut around the body of the lifter and its alignment with the oil passage that will cause oiling problems if you try to use chevy lifters in the Pontiac. Might be a similar thing, they all use the same diameter lifter. Just another area for you to explore for problems. Try www.realoldspower.com
Yes, you are exactly right. Olds lifters are also different from Chevy lifters as far as the oil hole is concerned. I forgot to mention that. Good catch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.