OLDS 442 w-30 help !! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

OLDS 442 w-30 help !!

Ive run across a guy selling a very nicely restored 1972 olds 442 w-30 . It has all of the correct options, and freshly rebuilt (balanced and blue printed with some performance mods) 455 stuck to turbo 400. his asking price is on the low side ( by about 5-10k at least)----- i ran the vin and instead of the "x" engine code that would mean it had the w-30 pkg, it had an "h"......350 2 bbl from the factory---which means - to me anyway, its a clone. To buy or not to buy......not really in the market for a $10k fake, but man its sweet !! someone spent a lot of $$ to fake this one, it has the steel backed , fiberglass optional - functional "ram air" hood , the red plastic fender liners, the w-30 and 442 badges- the sway bars, etc.----------opinions ?? will it ever make any money at 9-10K purchase? dont know what kind of market there is for clones like this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Check out the Barrett-Jackson auctions...I think you can probably check out the results from previous auctions online...if not they're in this mag by Hemmings...I think the mag is called Musclecar Review or something...anyway, it seems right now at these auctions cars are going for an astounding amount of cash...judging by these auctions the car is worth it. But keep in mind that they can only skyrocket for so long...so if you're looking to make a profit, it might not be the way to go. For a clone, even if it's a spot on match, 10 to 15k is probably all your going to get...20 tops.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Catherine Bell digs me........

Clone?

You say SOMEONE spent alot of money. I take it the current owner didnt do the resto, does he know its not a real 442? Maybe he bought it, thinking it real, and recently found its a clone. Now the owner is dumping it.
ANYWAY......... my personal opinion here...... 10K for a completely rebuilt car from that era is a deal. Buy it, enjoy it for 2-3 yrs., and sell it for what you bought it for.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDXRND
You say SOMEONE spent alot of money. I take it the current owner didnt do the resto, does he know its not a real 442? Maybe he bought it, thinking it real, and recently found its a clone. Now the owner is dumping it.
ANYWAY......... my personal opinion here...... 10K for a completely rebuilt car from that era is a deal. Buy it, enjoy it for 2-3 yrs., and sell it for what you bought it for.
good advice.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRobster
Ive run across a guy selling a very nicely restored 1972 olds 442 w-30 . It has all of the correct options, and freshly rebuilt (balanced and blue printed with some performance mods) 455 stuck to turbo 400. his asking price is on the low side ( by about 5-10k at least)----- i ran the vin and instead of the "x" engine code that would mean it had the w-30 pkg, it had an "h"......350 2 bbl from the factory---which means - to me anyway, its a clone. To buy or not to buy......not really in the market for a $10k fake, but man its sweet !! someone spent a lot of $$ to fake this one, it has the steel backed , fiberglass optional - functional "ram air" hood , the red plastic fender liners, the w-30 and 442 badges- the sway bars, etc.----------opinions ?? will it ever make any money at 9-10K purchase? dont know what kind of market there is for clones like this.
Heck, If you like it buy it and have fun with it..... If you don't ...... please let me know I am only 90 miles from you... I'd like to have it...

x
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 PM

did some research and spoke the guy who sold it to the guy ive been talkin' to. He sold it on ebay in may-05, has prof rebuilt 455, trans,rearend w/ posi-3.55, all new suspension, master-cyl, steering pump, etc, etc----advsd was going to "pro- street" race it, he sold me on it !! I drove 250 miles with a car hauler thru the arkansas mountains, and when the guy ( john shook - owner of houston gun and pawn ------that should have been a red flag ) the engine looked like it had 150,00 miles on it-not 500. all of the "good stuff" was gone. I knew he had another 442 convertible that was "almost finished". It was immediately apparent that he had taken all of the rebuilt, and new parts from this vehicle and swapped them with his older, and not so new , parts from his 442 that he wasnt selling. I knew he bought the car for 13,500 on ebay in may, and now selling for 10k ?? that explained it. He is trying to recoop' he money, or essentially buy 10k worth of "good stuff " for his keeper, and only be out of pocket 3500 for it. It was a beautiful car, and may be still worth the money, but knowing what I know, or what I had expected, I couldnt buy it......Thanks for the replies my friends !!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.