olds 455 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 12:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wink olds 455

olds 455 build up

just found this site and it seems to be the best forum on the net!! i have a 1971 olds cutlass HC. when ya'll get time could you help me out? i'm running a 1970 olds 350 engine and have recently purchased a 1971 olds 455. i've been told a bunch of stuff in my 350 will work in this 455. my main questions are: 1)will the almost new Comp cam (224 duration with a 501 lift) work? 2) will the 1.6 magnum roller rocker kit with guide plates work? (i know the pushrods will need to be differant length) 3) there is an existing 2 barrel intake, i plan to install a edlebrock performer 4 barrel intake and use my 600cfm edlebrock carb with dual 2 1/2"exhaust, i have a 1700 rpm stall converter on a 350 transmission. last but not least..will my better quality distributor work?...any other "affordable' suggestions would be greatly apperciated. i'm old a skeerd so all i want is low end torque. by looking at the other posts, i will thank you for your responses ahead.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

Try www.realolds.com , or www.oldpower.com if you don't get your answer here.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

Or www.mondellotwister.com or www.dickmillerracing.com
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

If I recall correctly..

Yes to all the above. I swapped 307 olds to 350 olds stuff, too.
I miss my 71 Supreme. I had done the research, and it is quite easy. Your cam will also be "milder" in the bigger cube motor. If you have headers, well they will nee to be changed.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:07 AM

Olds 455 buildup

Most of the parts will transfer from one engine to the other. being a taller block, any accessory that bolts to the block and to the head will not fit. Either motor mounts will work, but it is worth knowing the 455 mounts sit the engine slightly lower in the chassis. Internally most parts will exchange between the engines. Cam, timing gear set, distributer, oil pan, lifters (if the 455 is not a toronado) heads (more later), rocker arms. In some cases the 455 exhaust will not fit of the small block. It will hit the oil filter mount and not seal properly. You should use the larger 455 units if not going to headers.
Back to the heads. I mention this only because the 350 heads have smaller combustion chambers. the 350 #5 heads have a 65cc where the 455 C casting is at least 80 and averages 83cc. Given the smaller chamber is worth the effort(new piston are usually much cheaper) the ports on the 350 heads can be ported to equal the 455 heads in port size. The material is there to support a 2.1 int and 1.7 ex. after unshrouding the valve you will have a 68-69cc chamber (F) head. You will find with the larger valve that the ridge under the valve can be cleaned and the port will flow much better. 300+cfm. The exhaust is slightly smaller on some heads as well. Though in your favor. you can also shave .080 from the #5and .100 from the "C" if you want to get really serious. I have 51.5cc on a set of heads. As I mentioned pistons are cheaper though. And a LOT less work. Rocker mounting is identical between the two heads as well. Unless you have tapped to a larger stud? It will bolt up with pushrod changes. The cam is on the small side for a 455 olds. it will do well for you. but it may not appear to "wake up" it will just motor along. the engine likes cam. set the cam center to 2 deg retard for a grunter with this cam. Since this is getting long I will close here. The final note is the carb. While it is will sized for a chevy, it is a little small even for the 350. The 455 like most stroker motors likes a LOT of carb. a 750 is a bottom end carb. you will see improvement all the way up to the predator range of 900cfm on a semi stock 455.
Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2003, 05:18 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
While it is will sized for a chevy, it is a little small even for the 350. The 455 like most stroker motors likes a LOT of carb. a 750 is a bottom end carb. you will see improvement all the way up to the predator range of 900cfm on a semi stock 455.
Ditto that 100%. A bigger carb is going to be mandatory.
Mark
Old 12-13-2003, 12:03 AM

The website you want is realoldspower.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.