Olds 455 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 12:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Olds 455

im about to purchase through an aution a 1966 Toronado. The owner claims the engine is a 455, thats what I want to make sure of here. I heard that in the Toro's the engines were 455s after 1969... so I want everyones opinion on this before I purchase this.

After, I plan to put this into a 86 cutlass supreme... any helps and suggetions to what needs to be modded in order to get this engine to fit into this car would be perfect.. BTW if I get this.. does anyone want a 1966 Toronado w/no engine?? Lol

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 12:11 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If it's a 455, it's not original as the 455 came out in 1968. It's more likely a 425, as they made them from 65-67.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:16 PM

he said its all original parts, the only thing thats been done to it is the fuel lines were cleaned.. ehh 442.com isnt helping either, they are contradicting themselves

Quote:
The line of demarcation is drawn. Men on one side. Boys on the other. Cars fall into place. No question which side the Toronado takes. Not with that brawny, broad shouldered look. And that responsive performance from a 455 cubic inch Rocket V-8, biggest ever built. And that masterful ride and handling, thanks to the superior traction of FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE and torsion-bar suspension. Like we say, Toronado is all man-right down to that man sized trunk.
Quote:
The 455 was built from 1968 through 1976, produced from 210hp to 400hp, and were installed in just about every car Olds built in that period at one time or another, including the Cutlass/442, Delta 88's, 98's and Toronados (not the Omega, though). You can get a quick estimate of the year of the engine by looking at the 1" high casting letter on the lower-left corner of the block and/or head.
1st quote was taken from a part when it was explaining when the T's were 1st made, its implying they had 455s in em when they were made

is the 425 still a good engine to swap into a 86 cutlass?? i cant find any documents on how to rebuild one for it.. only see 403s and 455s, which is what i prefer..
Old 03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If you can find a complete 425, it might be worth rebuilding, although putting hard seats in the exhaust is not recommended due to thinness in the casting. I would stay away from 403's cause almost all the 403 heads I see are cracked. 455's might be hard to find. You might look into a 350 Olds. They shouldn't be too hard to find and they are pretty torquey.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by machine shop tom
If you can find a complete 425, it might be worth rebuilding, although putting hard seats in the exhaust is not recommended due to thinness in the casting. I would stay away from 403's cause almost all the 403 heads I see are cracked. 455's might be hard to find. You might look into a 350 Olds. They shouldn't be too hard to find and they are pretty torquey.
ALMOST ALL THE 403 HEADS YOU SEE ARE CRACKED!!! YOUR NUTS!!!!

I have 4A heads right here and they are fine. Tom you know NOTHING about oldsmobile so dont post about olds! I had to attack ya on that one, that was just STUPID of you to say that!

Also putting hardened seats in any 71-72 and earlier head is REQUIRED, or run a lead additive!!! Exhaust and intake!! Please learn somemore about olds before you post!

A 1966 toranado would be either a 400, or a 425.

Last edited by 87442lover; 03-10-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

If it is original it is a 425! If it were me i would be getting out the wallet and buy buy buy!!!!
I had one and wish i never got rid of it. I use all 455 olds now cause those 425's are hard to come by and are a solid motor.

Plus, they (being toronados) all have the hi-po parts. i.e. "C" heads with big valves, an extra quart oil pan, forged crank, etc. Buy it!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:49 PM

ehh, the guy e-mailed me back.. he apologized.. it was a 425 lol (and the friggin auction ended before i could buy it).. anyways ive decided on trying to compare a 403 vs 455 olds.. prefer the 455 but i want to know the problems i wouldbe facing getting this engine in my car...

from what i read, if i use the motor mounts from the 455 and bolt them into my car, i will not have a problem with the height of the engine like i would have if i just bolted it to the mounts that are already in my cutlass... I know i wont be able to use headers (I really can, but not worth it to me), so id like to know how much power id be losing by using a manifold.. and also my dual exhaust system, will that bea problem? I would like the same config i basically have now.. i currently run 3.5 inch pipes to 4inch chrome tips from my 307 (which sounds awesome for a 307).

sooo.. basically from my understanding, replace the radiator with the biggest i can get, but ill need to modify the brackets so it can bolt in.. no A/C, manifolds... they said i might need to use an electric fan?? can anyone back this up??? and can i get a dual exhaust system like i have now.. with those big pipes? Also, what adjustments would i need to make on the front suspension... think thats the only questions i have for now, none on parts, just trying to get it in my car with the stuff i want...
Old 03-10-2004, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

I almost did this once. The only problems i could see or think of is the clearance with the heater core and the steering. But they may not be a problem at all. Do some measuring first to see what you are working with! You can use the same exhaust just take it to a muffler shop and tell them and they will fab it up for little to nothing. Other than that everything will bolt in fine. Just check and double check clearance measurements.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:58 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 87442lover
ALMOST ALL THE 403 HEADS YOU SEE ARE CRACKED!!! YOUR NUTS!!!!

I have 4A heads right here and they are fine. Tom you know NOTHING about oldsmobile so dont post about olds! I had to attack ya on that one, that was just STUPID of you to say that!

Also putting hardened seats in any 71-72 and earlier head is REQUIRED, or run a lead additive!!! Exhaust and intake!! Please learn somemore about olds before you post!

A 1966 toranado would be either a 400, or a 425.

I beg to differ but I'm sure I have magnafluxed literally dozens of 403 heads and have found that 90% of them were cracked. In fact, I haven't found a sound one in the last 5 or 6 years. How many heads have you magnafluxed? As far as knowing nothing about Oldsmobiles, I' worry more about that guy in your bathroom mirror if I were you. He really doesn't seem to know anything useful about Oldsmobiles or anything else.

Tom
Old 03-10-2004, 09:06 PM
you talkin to me?

machine shop tom i hate to disagree with you being in a machine shop and all.
but in this case you are right and i cant disagree with you.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

LOL!!! none of the olds motors I have worked with had cracked heads! The metal quality is excellent! The only motors I have had problems with with cracked heads have been Buick V-6's

Now go back to your imaginary shop tom. Your magic chevy fairies are waiting.

And please... by all means... go tell that to the folks at mondello. Tell them how you think 90% of all olds 4A heads are cracked and that you should'nt install hardened exhaust seats in the earlier heads. Please go right ahead!!!

So you want a pair olds 7A heads... I think they might have an imaginary crack in them lol!

Last edited by 87442lover; 03-10-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:56 PM

lol unfortunately for you peeps talking about these heads.. it doesnt matter, they're going to be replaced
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 PM
you talkin to me?

whoa buddy lay off of tom.

btw where are these chevy fairies i like me chevy's?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by machine shop tom
I beg to differ but I'm sure I have magnafluxed literally dozens of 403 heads and have found that 90% of them were cracked. In fact, I haven't found a sound one in the last 5 or 6 years. How many heads have you magnafluxed? As far as knowing nothing about Oldsmobiles, I' worry more about that guy in your bathroom mirror if I were you. He really doesn't seem to know anything useful about Oldsmobiles or anything else.

Tom
Hey man you tell that to him first!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:01 PM

got nothing against chebs bro, i just like to keep the engines with the cars, this is an olds, trust me, a 350 or better chevy would be in a g-body monte carlo if i had one....
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.