Hot Rod Forum banner

olds 455 heads (G Ga)

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  455c-10 
#1 ·
i had bought an olds 455 to replace my 305 in my truck. it came with heads, edelbrock torker intake, crank, and other misc. parts. i got all this for $200. was that a decent deal?

my second question, the heads have different casting letters. when i first bought it i didnt notice it because i had assumed that everything was right. i didnt realize, until i was researching the heads one day on the internet, that they were different castings. i just couldnt find out what the difference was. the part numbers are the same, it is just that one is casted "G" and the other is "Ga" could someone tell me what the difference is?

thank you.
mike

#4 ·
no biggie

The "deal" you got for the motor all depends what shape the motor is in.

Tear it down and see. That is the only way to know.

The olds 455 are good motors, torque monsters by any means. After '72 they are mediocre for horsepower, but still make over 400 ft/lbs.

The casting numbers should indicate that they are both 80cc heads, although one is from '71 and one from '72. As long as one wasn't from a 442 application (rare anyways) the valve size will be the same. So, it really doesn't matter.

The torker is not a good intake for a truck motor. It is a single plane, horsepower type intake.

I have a more conservative edelbrock performer if you would be interested in a trade. It is in like-new condition. My email is thegodfather1317@hotmail.com

The olds 455 should motivate your truck very well. I am currently hopping up the 455 in my '72 cutlass supreme. Ricers watch out!

Andy

#5 ·
when i got the block it was in good shape and all i need to do is get it acid dipped and maybe bore it .030 over. but what i am doing to my truck is sporting it out. its not 4x4 so im just going to drag race it once i am done. i just dont know when i am going to get it done. all i have to do know is the machining and get pistons, rods, and all the other misc parts (all the expensive stuff) but its going to be fun once i am done.

i appreciate the information about the heads. im just not sure if i am going to get new ones though... i want the edelbrock heads but they are about 1500 for the set.

thanks agian
mike

ps can i get some pics for the edelbrock performer?
mke_22284@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.