Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Olds 455 with holley 750 dripping fuel when shut off?!?!? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/olds-455-holley-750-dripping-fuel-when-shut-off-221978.html)

Deadmetal 07-21-2012 11:13 PM

Olds 455 with holley 750 dripping fuel when shut off?!?!?

Hey guys, I always seem to get some good answers on here when i have a problem. I put an olds 455 in my 52 chevy fleetline. I have a holley 750 double pumper. When the car gets warm and i shut it off fuel keeps dripping from the carb into the engine flooding it. I have a fuel pump without the return line on it. Is the fuel pressure too much without the return on the fuel pump? I am going to check the float levels tomorrow but i want to make sure it is not a problem that i am running a fuel pump without the return line since the stock pump has a return line on it. Running a return line is not an option since i have no spot on my gas tank for a return line.

F-BIRD'88 07-21-2012 11:27 PM

Idle fuel pressure 5 to 7psi. More is not better.

Flooding is caused by high ffuel pressure
defective dirty carb needle seats, high float adjustment
lack of a fuel filter.

hot carb and or hot fuel pump and fuel lines.

move fuel lines away from exhaust system.

restrict and or block the exhaust heat risers at the manifold gasket
install a holley carb heat shield (or make your own from sheet metal) the shield must extend under the carb bowls.
Install a Edelbrock wood carb spacer. ( divided type for a dual plane manifold)

Install a mech fuel pump heat shield gasket.

excessive fuel pressure is the usual cause.
More than 8psi is way too much. 5 to 7psi is just right for a holley.

cobalt327 07-22-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadmetal (Post 1575853)
Hey guys, I always seem to get some good answers on here when i have a problem. I put an olds 455 in my 52 chevy fleetline. I have a holley 750 double pumper. When the car gets warm and i shut it off fuel keeps dripping from the carb into the engine flooding it. I have a fuel pump without the return line on it. Is the fuel pressure too much without the return on the fuel pump? I am going to check the float levels tomorrow but i want to make sure it is not a problem that i am running a fuel pump without the return line since the stock pump has a return line on it. Running a return line is not an option since i have no spot on my gas tank for a return line.

Make sure the gas tank isn't under pressure from heating up w/a non vented gas cap on the tank.

Deadmetal 07-22-2012 06:33 AM

Thanks guys i am gonna play with it today.

454C10 07-22-2012 06:51 AM

What kind of pump?

Should install an inline fuel pressure gage to see what is going on.

Deadmetal 07-23-2012 04:53 PM

All fixed up guys. Put a fuel pressure regulator on it and its good to go