Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds 455 Oil Restrictors
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsfart
I spun a rod bearing in a 350 Olds engine, I believe, due to oil starvation. This seems to be a theme with Oldsmobiles. I am currently building a 455 and have done a lot of reading and talking to other Olds guys. The general consensus from everyone except the guys who sell them, is that the oil restrictors in the oil galleries between the main bearings and the cam bearings are worthless. Besides, common sense dictates you do not want to restrict oil flow to any bearing. Adding restrictors to the lifter bore will, admittedly, slow the flow of oil to the top of the engine, but I not sure what the sacrifice may be in terms of reduced oil to the lifters, especially if they are hydraulics. In the 455 motor I am currently building, I have opted of oil-restricting pushrods. These will not restrict oil flow to any bottom end component, but will restrict flow to the top end.

This solution was suggested by a well-known old school motor builder who is still at it in Buena Park, CA and has lots of Olds-powered boat experience. He speaks from his experience and he's a straight-shooter. I trust his advice with this solution.
Restricted pushrods are an excellent and easy way to limit top end oil in an Olds motor. Deburring the passageways where the oil pump attaches to the rear main cap is also a good idea.