Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds 455 or pontiac 400/400
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech
Not to take anything away from the Olds 455, as it is a very powerful engine with a lot of torque, but if it has had water in a cylinder, it will need a complete rebuild. Boring, new pistons, and possibly one rod, if it hydro locked. The 400, on the other hand, unless it's been rebuilt, has cast pistons and rods, and if you're going to build it for performance, at the least, the pistons need to be changed. Performance isn't cheap, anyway you look at it!

Bill

Well, either way I was going to rebuild the engine no matter wich one I picked up so I am not to worried about that. I am not shure if water actualy got down there or just moisture from sitting so long. It has the air cleaner on and everything and even covered with a tarp. It has just sitting out behind a barn for a number of years. It ran when he cut the frame its just that it was to rusty to save. Also, it was rebuild before the guy got it so with the frame being rusty and all I am not shure how many km where put on it. I was thinking you could save the pistons if it wasnt to bad. just go with new rings, seals and bearings all around. Then just put a new cross hatch on.