Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds 455 or pontiac 400/400
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
It's a SHAME the 455 got wet! Otherwise, that engine w/nothing but a set of pipes and maybe an intake (not that it really needs it, any more than the Pontiac would, as long as they're 4-bbl intakes) would run great in the T/A- even (especially, I should say) w/those highway gears that are likely in it now.

I put a basically stock Olds 455 from a wagon, into a 1976 Cutlass (buckets, console, nice ride- but HEAVY) when the Buick 231 went south. That car was an animal.

But if the Olds was wet long enough to lock it up, like everybody says, it'll take a bore and pistons/rings to put it right.

But before you do anything, you might want to go ahead and pull it apart to see exactly what you have. You just never know... But be prepared for the worst.

Well I would really love to get te 455 but with the whole wet thing I am really worried. I dont wanna get screwed with the 455. The last thing I need is another boat anchor. IF the 455 came un stuck after soaking with the diesel I will pick its up. I was thinking a couple of things though. If the diesel fuel didnt work what are the chances of engine oil, alot of wd 40, break fluid or as much as I am afraid mabey some light heat? I dont mean mix them all togeather I just mean witch is most likely to work? Another thing I was wondering is what it would cost to bring the 400 up to the 500hp mark like I was going to do with the 455 compaired to the cost to just rebuild the 455? Finaly though, If The 455 is stuck why not just take the E heads on it, get some flat tops and put them on the 403 with a new cam and headers? It would save me some money not having to pay another $500 bucks for a 400 and it would put me around 450hp or more. I was thinking that if I go this way and do the 403 I would just use it untill it blows up and then get a 455?