Olds 455 or pontiac 400/400 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymann3
If the diesel fuel didnt work what are the chances of engine oil, alot of wd 40, break fluid or as much as I am afraid mabey some light heat? I dont mean mix them all togeather I just mean witch is most likely to work?
First, empty it of water. Skip the brake fluid- it collects water from the air. No real way to effectively get heat to it...

I like PB Blaster as a penetrant, hands down. I'd try to level one side at a time (if the whole engine got wet but usually only a couple cylinders get it bad) and spray enough PB to cover the top of the affected piston(s). Let sit overnight, repeat for the other side/affected cylinders. Then 'rock' the crank back and forth, loosening it (hopefully) as you go.

Quote:
If The 455 is stuck why not just take the E heads on it, get some flat tops and put them on the 403 with a new cam and headers?
I'm no expert on Olds heads, but most of the time guys use 350 heads w/larger valves for the 403.

Depending on the variables, you could get about 9:1 CR w/the 455 heads (80 cc chambers?), w/o milling, and w/a 'zero' deck.

No matter, if it were me, I'd grab the 455, locked or not- as long as you have room for it.

Was this a Toronado engine? I might have it mixed up w/another thread...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
First, empty it of water. Skip the brake fluid- it collects water from the air. No real way to effectively get heat to it...

I like PB Blaster as a penetrant, hands down. I'd try to level one side at a time (if the whole engine got wet but usually only a couple cylinders get it bad) and spray enough PB to cover the top of the affected piston(s). Let sit overnight, repeat for the other side/affected cylinders. Then 'rock' the crank back and forth, loosening it (hopefully) as you go.

I'm no expert on Olds heads, but most of the time guys use 350 heads w/larger valves for the 403.

Depending on the variables, you could get about 9:1 CR w/the 455 heads (80 cc chambers?), w/o milling, and w/a 'zero' deck.

No matter, if it were me, I'd grab the 455, locked or not- as long as you have room for it.

Was this a Toronado engine? I might have it mixed up w/another thread...

Yea, its out of a olds Toronado GT. Only one cyl got wet. I am not even shure if its wet, it has a air cleaner cover and a tarp on it. I have a feeling its moisture from sitting so long. It has just been sitting behind a barn for years. It was out of a running toronado that was rebuilt but the frame was no good to he cut it just behind the trans when he bought it. I think the engine was the only reason he bought it because he has had ALOT of these cars over the years. So when he went to go take a look at this engine when he wanted to put it in one of his cars he hooked the starter but no luck. so he took the fan off and tryed to turn it over with a breaker bar or somthing, still no luck. so he took the plugs out and looked down the cylenders and said he saw somthing ( I dont really know what). He said he only saw somthing in one of the cylenders so he put diesel down all of them and left them to sit. It has been sitting since the summer now. He said he didnt bring it into the shop or do anything to it really. so with the tranny attatched still I am wonderig if mabey its stuck and thats why It wont spin? or mabey its the alt or ac or any other belt drivin things? It has been sitting a long time and alothough its covered it still got moisture and started to rust. I will post again with pics..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Well, insted of posting a picture since I cant figure out how, I will just send a link... http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...8&ImageIndex=5
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Right click on the image, click on properties, cut and paste the URL inside [img] and [/img].

I dunno, that engine looks wet. lol I hope not bad, though!

EDIT- I wonder if anyone here (Joe) knows if that engine had "big" valves, like one suspect site says...

Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Yea, It does. I still think its from sitting so long. And with this being canada with all the snow, Once it melts... you know where I am going. All the moisture and with the weeds and grass and such growing under the tarp. If you look at he picture the bottom of the engine is more rusty them the top. This makes me think that the rust on the bottom is from the snow and growth as I said and the top rust is from moisture age and just sitting for a number of years. After seeing the pictures what do you say?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Yea, It does. I still think its from sitting so long. And with this being canada with all the snow, Once it melts... you know where I am going. All the moisture and with the weeds and grass and such growing under the tarp. If you look at he picture the bottom of the engine is more rusty them the top. This makes me think that the rust on the bottom is from the snow and growth as I said and the top rust is from moisture age and just sitting for a number of years. After seeing the pictures what do you say?
I'm game for any big displacement engine. If you got room and the price is right, why not?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Being that you're in Ontario, That engine has been exposed to freezing temperatures and if there was enough water in a cylinder to crack a cylinder wall, it's toast. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Bill
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I'm game for any big displacement engine. If you got room and the price is right, why not?
Well the price is right. Its just that I only have one shot picking up another engine! I would LOVE to get this 455 but is it worth running the risk of paying $500 for cyl heads a intake and carb? Plus being stuck with the trans axle? and eveything else? I know I can sell them but I rather not go through the pain of having people asking me stupid questions about it and wasiting my time. I also sorda had a few idea's with the trans axle. I think I will put a new post up on how to build up a ponch 400. Unless The 455 comes loose I am probobly going for the 400. Or last resort is the 403.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech
Being that you're in Ontario, That engine has been exposed to freezing temperatures and if there was enough water in a cylinder to crack a cylinder wall, it's toast. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Bill
I never actualy thought about that. I am glad you brought that up. I think thats what just sold me on the poncho 400. I just posted another thred on a pontiac 400 build up if you wanted to see what others have to say...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

You'd pay he!! getting 450+ hp out of the 403. Especially with the whimpy main webbing. On the other hand, with the kits available for the 400 Pontiac, from the shops that I gave in post #12, you can make a, safe, 455, which would be stronger than a Pontiac 455 block, with about 550 hp. By "safe", I mean with just a .030 bore, and not have to worry about cylinder wall thickness. With a sonic check, you may find that it can be bored as much as .060, but that would be iffy for street use.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech
You'd pay he!! getting 450+ hp out of the 403. Especially with the whimpy main webbing. On the other hand, with the kits available for the 400 Pontiac, from the shops that I gave in post #12, you can make a, safe, 455, which would be stronger than a Pontiac 455 block, with about 550 hp. By "safe", I mean with just a .030 bore, and not have to worry about cylinder wall thickness. With a sonic check, you may find that it can be bored as much as .060, but that would be iffy for street use.
I love the idea of these kits but holy f@&%. I took a quick look because it was way early in the morning over here when you sent them. I was prices from $500- $2000. I think I am going to take another look now.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Yea, these are some real expencive kits. I was thinking of getting a kit from this site that you showed me: http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...rsionkits.html

The exact kit I was thinking of getting was Crank Kit Combo KSM-CK44551.

This way I could use my stock rods and get some nice flowing older poncho heads and some forged pistons. I think thats about all right?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

the rule of thumb I use is the more cubes the better , like you pointed out before there was something causing the Olds motor not to turnover , if the exaust pipes where removed and the valvetrain not relieved ( rockers backed off ) the moisture is going to come in thru the manifolds and then the exhaust valves and more than likely you will have more than one cylinder to deal with when it comes to rust , Being I am a Pontiac purist ( the engine should be the same as th car its in excepr for trucks) I say like Bill says do a 400 Poncho stroker ,But your should look for a pre 76 block as they do seam to be cast better ( cylinders walls are thicker and straighter and thicker main webs) but even a 400 punched out .060 with the right cam and intake and heads will make pretty decent power numbers my vote is Poncho .
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
the rule of thumb I use is the more cubes the better , like you pointed out before there was something causing the Olds motor not to turnover , if the exaust pipes where removed and the valvetrain not relieved ( rockers backed off ) the moisture is going to come in thru the manifolds and then the exhaust valves and more than likely you will have more than one cylinder to deal with when it comes to rust , Being I am a Pontiac purist ( the engine should be the same as th car its in excepr for trucks) I say like Bill says do a 400 Poncho stroker ,But your should look for a pre 76 block as they do seam to be cast better ( cylinders walls are thicker and straighter and thicker main webs) but even a 400 punched out .060 with the right cam and intake and heads will make pretty decent power numbers my vote is Poncho .
Well like I just said on the other thred, This poncho stroker is adding up pretty quick. I dont think I need to have a stroker to make 450hp. All you need to do is make 1.1hp per cube. Unless this poncho build becomes alot cheaper somehow I think I will stick with the olds 403 thats in my driveway and just build that up, run it, and when it blows up I will hopfully have enough cash for a 455.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Well like I just said on the other thred, This poncho stroker is adding up pretty quick. I dont think I need to have a stroker to make 450hp. All you need to do is make 1.1hp per cube. Unless this poncho build becomes alot cheaper somehow I think I will stick with the olds 403 thats in my driveway and just build that up, run it, and when it blows up I will hopfully have enough cash for a 455.
You don't need a stroker to make 450 hp. You can make that horsepower with a 400, easy, but it would have better street manners with 455 cubic inch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.