Hot Rod Forum banner

Olds 455 vs. Pontiac 455?

20K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bildo95 
#1 ·
I was reading some other threads from john about the olds 455 and how good they were, so here is my question. What is the real difference between the two aforementioned engines? John sounds like a pluthera of knowledge in this department. So John, if your reading this, which is better? I would like to drop in a 455 into my 81 camaro. I know she's not a classic, but all I can afford for now. I did find a Pontiac 455 for $100, needs rebuilt though. What about trannies? Thanks again, Bill

#2 ·
Olds and Pontiacs while very different physically are good performance platforms to build on. Both respond very well and will make lots of torque and I mean lots. The one thing they have in common is the bellhousing pattern so whatever trans will bolt to an Olds 455 will bolt up to a Pontiac with the proper flyweel/clutch or flexplate/converter. With the Pontiac in your Camaro you basically have the same set up as a Firebird (but you know that). Whatever it takes to put a Pontiac 350/400/455 in a Firebird will work for you. If you go Olds then 403 Olds powered Firebird items will work for much of it although headers would be different because of the difference in block height between the 403 and 455. If your budget is tight a solid TH350 with a shift kit will get you by. 3.42 posis were common under mid-70's to '81 Z-28's, Formulas and T/A's. An excellent gear for a 455 Olds or Poncho.

#4 ·
Since they are both good powerplants, I should probably go with the Pontiac because the Firebirds are mirror images of the Camaro and it will be easier getting parts and supplies that match? Sounds good to me. Someone said a universal bolt pattern on a Chevy TH350 with work with B-O-P. Is this true? Thanks again, Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.