Olds Rocket block info needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Olds Rocket block info needed

I'm looking for some info on a oldsmobile block like how to identify it and casting numbers would be great. It is compatable with small block chevy parts, but is a tall deck block with a raised cam location for big stroke cranks, I think the bore is around 4.25", there are both dry and wet sump models. These blocks can be used to make huge small block chevys. If anyone knows the casting numbers, what these originally came in, or quick ways of identifying them let me know.

Thanks,
Tony
TLR67235@aol.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

I've had a couple of these, currently a tall deck 434. An easy way to id it is by the scalloped sides of the block, the splayed main caps and the Oldsmobile insignia on the sides. They were machined as either standard deck, 4.00 bore, and 2.45 mains or +.300 deck, 4.125 bore, and 2.65 mains. Max bore is 4.185. All have spread rails, raised cam, big block cam journals, priority main oiling, dual starter mounts, and no oil filter provision. The only thing they ever came in is a crate. The Dart Iron Eagle is the same block.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I believe that you may have your info confused. First and foremost, I doubt that you could get any block that accepts sbc architecture anywhere near 4.25 bore. It has about 4.48 bore spacing(that the crank has some obligation to conform to) which would give you less than 1/4" between bores...hardly enough to seal any type of combustion gases. I also think that you may be talking about an aftermarket block and not really an Olds block. I do know there are a couple of aftermarket blocks, I believe one is called an "Olds", that uses BBC parts. I will acknowledge that I'm not an Olds expert, however, I am sure that I would have heard about that at some point in time. There was also a period of time when GM was swapping "350" size engines between model lines, I think it was primarily Chevy engines being installed in other cars...including the Olds. I think the block you are looking for is an aftermarket block and not an assembly line one.
I see that Dirt Car 18 pretty much reiterated my comments about it being a production engine.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I think he is talking about the Rocket Block back in the 90's when Old's was racing at the strip.
Now it's Gm's new block that you can build a 502 with.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=628.html
Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Sorry, I was going off what I had heard from some people. I just found the block, its from GM performance parts not a factory piece. I was thinking olds because of the rocket name and emblem.

Thanks, for the replys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.