Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Olds Toronado THM-425 and Vette
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, first I have to say that anything is possible. Now, here's some of my thoughts on this subject. The Turbo 425 differential bolts to what would normally be called the tailstock of the trans. Your late Vette rear axle is fed by a standard driveshaft and the latest Vettes with the transaxle is another matter entirely. So, no, it won't work unless you spend extensive money and time having an adapter made. And there would be no gain as far as I can see. I was trying to figure out why you wanted to turn the engine around and the only thing I can think off is to move the differential rearward making the engine sit in front of the rear axle instead of straddling it like it would if you used a stock Toronado setup. If that is the case... I'm not certain but you may be able to install a Turbo 400 tailstock and output shaft on the Toronado trans, run a short driveshaft and then install a flipped differential of your choice so that you don't end up with 1 speed forward and 3 reverse with your rearward facing engine. If the parts interchange it should be a fairly easy job. Now, flipped differentials shouldn't have any lubrication problems but not a lot of people have run them that I am aware of so I can't say anything about durability. Yeah, I've also thought about this before but it is probably easier to get a proper transaxle, like a Porsche, and use a ready made adaptor. Good luck, and put up some posts when you get going, sounds like my type of project.